Garbage Chuckie is on the pits.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

redclaymud

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Sep 7, 2011
Barnardsville, NC
This is a whole bunch more fun than garbage pizza.. 

I went to the market to buy ingredients for either smoked meat loaf or smoked chuck roast.  I ended up buying enough for two of each.  I figure I can make one of each right and the next ones better.

Once I settled down a bit I decided to try the first chuck roast first.  So here it goes.  The process began at 2pm (about 4 hours ago) and continues.

First of off I purchased two chuck roasts about the same size.  Not too big and not too small.  I settled on the bottom one because I liked the marble the best.

ace10416_ChuckRoast1.jpg

Then I got my ingredients together.  The produce manager sold me a whole bunch of Romaine tomatos for $1.49, then there was garlic powder, chopped garlic, yellow onion, diced peppers, the meat and sliced pig jowls to keep things moist.

f79cdac1_ChuckRoast2.jpg

Before I could make it pretty, the thing growled at me, so I beat it with an available pan on both sides and never heard another whimper.  Truth be know, it could have been my own stomach growling or my son's.  We were that hungry.

e5fa1f5e_ChuckRoast3.jpg

Decided to sear it on the bottom side, hoping to retain more mosture.

0c380e9f_ChuckRoast4.jpg

I didn't sear the sides of the roast.  Probably should have, but I'll know later.

7c01fbe9_ChuckRoast5.jpg

So.  Here is my bare bones chuck roast ready to make into a Garbage Chuckie.

5f191492_ChuckRoast6.jpg

I made slits and inserted garlic.

0c959fa7_ChuckRoast7.jpg

Added sliced Romaine Tomatos

9d4da11c_ChuckRoast8.jpg

Alternated the Romain Tomatoes with peppers.  I didn't have hot peppers in the fridge.  These are a sweeter variety.

63d7ca06_ChuckRoast9.jpg

Kept building and added sliced onions.

01594353_ChuckRoast10.jpg

22a42f9f_ChuckRoast11.jpg

Topped with onions, it's time to add the moisture.  This is a case where normal bacon would dry out too soon.  Pig Jowls (Yikes!).  I never thought in my lifetime I would be shopping for Pig Jowls.

d0de3f65_ChuckRoast12.jpg

Finishing up . . . you can never have enough fixins on a garbage chuckie.  This would have been a good time to add my rub, but I was so raptured by the moment, all other ingredients and rules failed me. 

7bbab942_ChuckRoast13.jpg

Money shots in a couple hours.  I'm still waiting for 10 more degrees of internal temperature.  I'll take a shot just prior to wrapping. 

Good smoking everyone.  Hope I didn't overload with pics.

Thanks for the recipe. My wife is always trying to ge me to suggest something different. I know what I'm going to tell her when she asks me what I want from the grocery store tomorrow.

Garbage Chuckie!

Can't wait to see the rest.

Good luck!

Were the Jowls Fresh or Dry Cured?...Guanciale, Italian dry cure pig jowl is AWESOME! Way better than Pancetta, belly bacon. Guanciale is impossible to find in my area and cost a fortune to buy on line, so if that is what you got it is going to make a tasty Chuckie...JJ

This looks good already.

I can smell it.    No wait, that is my other half in the kitchen while my pastrami sits in the pit.

Good luck and good smoking.

icon_cool.gif

I can't wait for the end product but I guess I'll have to wait.

[h1]"Garbage Chuckie is on the pits."  part II[/h1]
Here's my second installment with Q-shots. 

I took my chuck roast up to 155 degrees last night and then immediately double wrapped in foil and let it rest a good hour before placing it in the refrigerator.  In hind sight, wrapping in towels and placing in a igloo cooler would have been a better way to go since I had to bring the meat up to temperature again for dinner today.  That extra heating might have cost me the difference between medium rare and medium.

551a33a3_ChuckRoast15.jpg

This is the roast as it appeared immediately after removing the foil and after bring back to temperature.  The hog jowls looked to have done their job of keeping things moist.

32408ebb_ChuckRoast16.jpg

First things first, I removed and discarded the hog jowls to get to the garbage veggies underneath.

8c391c2c_ChuckRoast17.jpg

The onions turned out tough but the tomato slices were delicious.

94e8d809_ChuckRoast18.jpg

All the fixins are carefully removed and set aside.  Now to carve . . . This is the time of triumph or failure.  Will it slice?

41bba079_ChuckRoast19.jpg

It did slice.  Not great, but it sliced.  I couldn't figure the best cut so I sliced one way until I couldn't slice thin anymore and turned the roast and tried from a different angle.  I wanted all the slices to be toward the skinny side, so as to make sandwiches with the leftovers.

06ba3a06_ChuckRoast20.jpg

Medium.  Not a huge smoke ring but I could still taste the smoke in every bite.

67f795c1_ChuckRoast22.jpg

The Money Shot.

I added new veggies to the already sliced roast.  I added fresh sauted onions and lightly sauted tomato slices, cooked together in the same pan with butter and a bit of olive oil.   Served the main entree with a spatula so family would scoop up the meat slices and all the garbage fixings on top.

Served the meal with garlic mashed red potatoes and fresh steamed beans.  The family loved it.

I felt I could have made the roast more tender and tasty.  The next time I’ll marinade overnight, but not in anything of strong flavor.  I didn’t add any rub and probably should have added a little.  Lastly, I’ll flash finish the roast on the grill rather than bring it up to temperature in the oven.   I was hoping for a bit more char and it wasn’t there. 

And then there is the matter of creativity.  It's a garbage chuckie, so why not add more garbage fixings at the end and get the family involved in the fun.  Toss the plates under the broiler for a few seconds and it can boggle the mind what could be added.  Anything in the refrigerator is fair game.  I'm certainly going to add feta cheese the next time.

Was it good.  Yes.   Will I do it again.  Heck Yes.  The recipe is already in my binder.

Don't know Jimmy.  It's so rare to find them at the markets nowadays but I found a source for them when needed.  The package just says smoked jowls and it was already sliced like very thick bacon. 

Were the Jowls Fresh or Dry Cured?...Guanciale, Italian dry cure pig jowl is AWESOME! Way better than Pancetta, belly bacon. Guanciale is impossible to find in my area and cost a fortune to buy on line, so if that is what you got it is going to make a tasty Chuckie...JJ

[h1]"Garbage Chuckie is on the pits."  part III (the postmortem)[/h1]
Hind sight is a wonderful learning tool.  The remains of anything worth cooking can often be re-examined to see what could have been better.

Such was the case with my Garbage Chuckie.  I had the opportunity to dine on it's Tupperware remains last night, re-plated as first served and warmed in the microwave.  All and all, it was two times better than when served the evening before.  The garbage vegetables has taken on the aroma of the smoked meat and the meat was tender enough to almost cut down on with a fork.  Every bit of flavorful taste in veggies, meat, and tenderness had accelerated twofold or more.   This was exactly the the result I was looking for yesterday.

So, says Doctor Quincy BME (Barbeque Meat Examiner), what magic caused this?
  1. To refresh the cooking process, once the roast was pulled I double wrapped in foil and refrigerated overnight. 
  2. The next day I brought the unopened foiled package up to temperature, opened it, discarded most the spent veggies, added fresh sauted veggies and served.
  3. Now it becomes an issue of timing.
I'm thinking, had I replaced those spent veggies to the roast prior to wrapping and refrigeration, the roast would have had a chance to absorb the newly added moisture of the vegetables and the vegetables would have absorbed the smoky aroma of the roast.  

Cause of Death:  Pilot Error.  But it was only a rough landing.  Maybe I got to the airport before the runway was clear.

Lesson Learned:  I'm still thinking on it.  Should I replace the veggies upon foiling or just prior to reheating?.

i

i

Great review,   just one question  Why did you toss the bacon? 

You know maybe you could consider smoking the chuckie with just the bacon and a rub until it hits maybe 20 or 30 degrees below your final internal temp,  cover with your vegs and wrap in aluminum foil till it gets nice and tender.  That way all the juices of the vegs will accumulate and absorb into the meat.  You can always open the foil back and toss on the smoker to crisp everything up?  Just an idea.  If crispy isn't a concern just do as suggested and leave wrapped until you get to your final temp, them remove from the smoker for an hour or so and let everything come together.  I bet some nice sliced mushrooms would go great with that.

Thanks for the idea,  I'll give it a try

Great review,   just one question  Why did you toss the bacon? 

You know maybe you could consider smoking the chuckie with just the bacon and a rub until it hits maybe 20 or 30 degrees below your final internal temp,  cover with your vegs and wrap in aluminum foil till it gets nice and tender.  That way all the juices of the vegs will accumulate and absorb into the meat.  You can always open the foil back and toss on the smoker to crisp everything up?  Just an idea.  If crispy isn't a concern just do as suggested and leave wrapped until you get to your final temp, them remove from the smoker for an hour or so and let everything come together.  I bet some nice sliced mushrooms would go great with that.

Thanks for the idea,  I'll give it a try
Thanks Alblancher,

The bacon (jowls) turned out rubbery.  I tried biting into a piece and the rest went to the dogs.  But your thought is outside my narrow box of thinking at the moment and it makes sense.  I'll be trying it on my next roast which is still in the fridge.  . 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky