FYI on pecans for the holidays

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

squirrel

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
May 7, 2010
augusta ga
Hi all,

I just wanted to share a little "insider" info. As many of you know I have a whole bunch of pecan trees and I sell alot of my nuts to a local wholesale outfit and it's not rocket science when several other places start hitting you up for your measly little 11 acres of pecans. So I did some research and it seems there is a major pecan shortage this year due to some sort of fungus. Lucky for me I didn't get hurt by it so I think I'm gonna start doing some serious shelling! LOL! Soooo..... if you are gonna want pecans for the holidays I suggest you get to your local Sam's and stock up soon. I was told they may go up to as much as 20 bucks a pound! Wha??? I wouldn't pay that for them. But, there are some crazy arse folks who would.

If they are more than $6.99 lb shelled everyone will just have to do without there christmas goodies this year

You *are* nuts!! LOL!!

And what does it say about most of us that we'd rather hit you up for pecan WOOD than nuts? ;) Mmmm... custom wood.

I have stacks of apple, pear and cherry drying from my dad's place's fall trim.

Thanks for the heads up!

Hi all,

I just wanted to share a little "insider" info. As many of you know I have a whole bunch of pecan trees and I sell alot of my nuts to a local wholesale outfit and it's not rocket science when several other places start hitting you up for your measly little 11 acres of pecans. So I did some research and it seems there is a major pecan shortage this year due to some sort of fungus. Lucky for me I didn't get hurt by it so I think I'm gonna start doing some serious shelling! LOL! Soooo..... if you are gonna want pecans for the holidays I suggest you get to your local Sam's and stock up soon. I was told they may go up to as much as 20 bucks a pound! Wha??? I wouldn't pay that for them. But, there are some crazy arse folks who would.

Oh little missy I have lots of pecan wood. Pecan trees are very fragile and I've been chopping my happy hiney off. I do have a thing for hickory and just scored a major truckload from a semi-local person. I also have some oak that I burn inside. LOVE burning wood, whether it's inside or out! And yes mam, I'm a little nuts, that's why I love me so much!

Hey Princess, we should do a trade! I would love to trade you some pecan for some cherry.

icon_cool.gif

No wonder you call yourself squirrel with that many nuts I think I'd be a squirrel to. Now you bet get the shelling so You can be SELLIN.........LOL 

nice play on words ha

Man I hope these do not end up like pine nuts did - $24 a package at Costco - killing me

Chef Rob - you can have all you want buddy! Pecan trees are fragile and the limbs are always falling down. I'm gonna be doing some wood chunks soon if you want to do an exchange (doesn't have to be wood!)

Chef Rob - you can have all you want buddy! Pecan trees are fragile and the limbs are always falling down. I'm gonna be doing some wood chunks soon if you want to do an exchange (doesn't have to be wood!)
The thoughts going thru my little brain when I saw the last 5 words I am not able to post here.  

thx squirrel but wood ain't cheep to ship and i trim pecan trees for my g/f's granny so i do have a supply................anything out west you like LMK!

damn it gary, not sure what get's me more............yer post or the fact that you've worked yer way up to five words storage capacity!
The thoughts going thru my little brain when I saw the last 5 words I am not able to post here.  

On a related topic.....can anyone tell me, with first hand knowledge, if using pecan wood for smoking would effect a nut allergy?

I would love to use some pecan for smoking, but, also would hate to croak the neighbors. (Well, most of them).

Thanks

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky