Fruits besides apple for hard cider

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

timstalltaletav

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Nov 8, 2012
Llewellyn PA aka God's Country
I got an email from Mr. Beer today that the cider kits are on sale. One kit featured is pear cider. Has anyone ever tried cider with pears? How about some other seasonal fruits?

I'd like to restart my home brewing hobby and just might order that kit to kick start my hobby.

Last edited:
Pear cider is great. Most other fruit flavored ciders are apple or pear based with the flavoring of the other fruits added. Our local cider house makes an apricot, a boysenberry, a blackberry, a black cherry, and a black cherry pomegranate. All of which use their apple cider as a base.

You can make good cider with pears for sure.  It's known as peary in the UK.  I have never made it but I know it's a big deal in the UK.  I've tasted homemade pear brandy from Germany and that's awesome as well...  But making that is a whole other ball game.  Also some folks make cider from cherries, but they are less forgiving than apples or pears.  

You would do yourself a favor and steer away from Mr Beer kits. You can find one gallon kits for making beer and wine from places like Northern Brewer online.  Some of the one gallon kits out there are exceptional and they just added a line of one gallon premium wine kits. 

Cider can be challenging to get right, but if you follow a basic recipe you can get something decent even from store bought juice.  The hardest part in making cider is getting the acidity of the juice adjusted right.  I've been making hard cider for quite sometime and still struggle with this, even testing acidity.  Either way, the cider I make still turns out very good.  If you are looking for a sweet cider, it can be a bit trickier to get right.  We prefer a traditional dry English style cider, which is a bit more forgiving.  

Anyhow, if you have any questions about making your own cider, post them here and I'll try and answer them for you.  I ran/owned a homebrew shop for about 2 years and use to brew about 3 times per week. :-)

I've only made hard cider from apple juice. I made about 15 gals of hard cider last year. I make beer and mead also.

I have a Pear mead, called a Perry, that I made over 4 years ago. I got the pears from my tree out back. It's past due for bottling, but I'll get around to it.

I have a Peach Mead planned for "someday". LOL!

I made a Hard Lemon-Lime earlier this year. It's ready to bottle also. Kind of has a similar flavor to Mike's Hard Lemonade, but not quite. It comes in just over 12% ABV.

Reactions: Plinsc
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky