OMG did i get in over my head!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
well, folks - this was certainly an interesting journey. i'll try to tell the story but keep it a little shorter than my original post!

we were running about 15 minutes to a half-hour late all day yesterday, but did get there, get the ECBs set up and had meat on by 130pm - then someone said that he was pretty sure the turn-in time was 630, so i figured heck yeah, it's all good. interestingly enough, we were one of only three teams smoking, and i was the only one with ECBs. the other two smoking teams consisted of an entire trailer that looked like a whole shed on wheels (very nice) and another one that looked like a large home oil-heating tank modified into a smoker - both were nice pits. the rest were grilling (indirect heat) on gas grills in batches and one was cooking over a long charcoal set-up that looked like a sawed-off horse trough on legs. the fellow next to me is a neighbor of mine - he was on a gas grill and there were a lot of good smells coming out of his grill.

i didn't get as much smoke going as i wanted, i think due to OVERsoaking the woodchips in the foil pouches and also the fact that the grates were extremely full with little or no room between most meat portions. we squeezed the pouches dry and opened them up more than we would have normally, and this helped. i must reiterate here that if you haven't tried an equal blend of cherry, maple and apple, give it a try sometime for some of the sweetest, most outdoorsy smoke aroma and flavor you can imagine. my cherry and apple came from the makers of the little chief smoker, and if i remember correctly there is a bit of alder blended in as well. in any case, it was just right - there just didn't seem to be enough of it! also, i used a combination of kingsford lump and a new one that we found in great falls called cowboy band (bought at home depot) both performed well and i like them both, although the cowboy brand has a little less smoke smell, it does have more chunks that are the right size. too much of kingsford's stuff seems too small, but it smells great when it is going.

we smoked for two hours, then wrapped each grate entirely in foil and put them back on for 2 hours as per the 2/2/1 concept. temperature control was pretty good except at the beginning it took longer than i wanted to to get up to temp (this was most likely because we only had hot - not boiling- water available to fill the water pans) and at the end i had trouble staying where i wanted to be as the charcoal started to fall off and we tried to replace it with hot coals, but for the most part it was OK. running three ECBs is a bit like coordinating a 3-ring circus when it comes to tending the charcoal and mopping the meat (if anyone is interested in the mop recipe, see my post topic titled "tweaking a good rib rub" or shoot me a PM - it's good stuff!), but other than that things pretty much took care of themselves.

when we removed the foil, i stoked up the heat a bit and threw on the last foil pouches, as well as a few dry chips, in order to get a heavy does of smoke in that last hour. maybe 15 minutes later, a guy comes out and tells eveyone to bring em in. i look at my watch - 6pm - well, so much for 630! i try to keep them on as long as possoble, but ended up having to bring them in after smoking only a half hour (during the final stage), so it turned out to be a 2/2/.5. not quite what i wanted, but hey, i was here just for fun anyway, so i wasn't too concerned. we piled the ribs (which had been pre-cut by the organizers of the event into long portions across the bones - country style ribs were also long portions) onto two foil-lined platters and carried them in with our heads held high.

let me interject here that by design, my oldest son was to stay at home, prepare the finishing glaze (recipe in post above) and bring it right before 630pm. because of the fact that we ended up bringing them in sooner, he actually arrived right after we had the ribs on the platter and covered with foil. it would have been almost perfect timing under the original plan, but as it was, it was a little late - i decided to turn this procedural lemon into lemonade by serving the glaze on the side as a finishing sauce. the yellowish color (which would be considered extremely unique in these parts) would add a great visual contrast as well as good flavor, and give them something to talk about.

when we got in, we discovered that everyone else's ribs had recently been cut into slightly-larger-than-bite-sized portions and laid out in serving pans on a long table. each portion was skewered with a different-colored toothpick. because we had stayed out so long trying to squeeze that last bit of smoke in, we had missed this opportunity for portioning and skewering.

i found out then (newbie that i was!) that people who wanted to attend the feed paid the door charge, came in, walked the line and got a sample of each entry, then voted on a sheet of paper for their favorite based on the color/type of toothpick. a good, fair way to do it, i judged (no pun intended!). also, each team's entries were, technically, to be served by someone other than the team members. we ended up having to do this ourselves, but i was glad for the opportunity because this gave me a chance to greet each person and answer any questions that they might have. also, i immediately decided that instead of serving the glaze on the side as a sauce, i would drizzle it over the platters and trust gravity (and the shifitng around as we cut them into portions) to make sure each portion got a bit of the color and flavor of the glaze. as it turns out, this idea worked better than expected but not quite perfectly.

two factors complicated the situation. the first was that the only open spot left was at the starting end of the long table, so we were last inside but first on the line. this meant that while i or my oldest son was serving, the younger two boys were cutting and tooth-picking them. it looked a little hectic but at the same time it looked "busy" if you know what i mean, like a team in motion. the other hindering factor was that they ran out of toothpicks in our color (restaurant toothpicks wrapped with orange foil at one end) so we ended up serving about half of our portions with a restaurant toothpick that was colored yellow. my oldest boy did a good job of explaining this to as many comers as possible. meanwhile the 6-yr old played out his part as mascot (which didn't require much acting from him as he is quite a character). he went around talking to people and cadging samles of each entry, then decided he was going to vote for the dad of his buddy down the table instead of mine. what can i say, he's a great kid when it comes to comic relief.

(to be continued next post - ran over the limit!)

was i happy with the results of my efforts? well, i'd say it ws close to 75/25.

on the plus side, i had only heard about this the night before and i put it together very well in a short time. i took the "hard" road by using charcoal ECBs and tended my fires while most others just put the ribs on and then went into the bar. i was one of the very few people doing them in the southern barbecue style - nearly all others were making some great looking and smelling ribs, but they were using methods and recipes that would have complimented beef much more than pork. everything i coked was juicy and fork tender, with all but the thickest pieces having a great smoke ring.

on the minus side, i didn't know what i was doing and the resulting confusion led me to be more unorganized than i prefer. i didn't get as much smoke as i would have liked and the thicker portions had no real bark. there were a few crispy, almost burned ends on some of the ribs, but ironically, these got the most smoke flavor and in py opinion were the best tasting. i didn't quite use as much rub as i should have and they came off as slightly lacking in the BBQ flavor that i like with that rub.
the glaze was not applied as i would have preferred, missing a chance to put that wet/dry sheen on my entries. this was counterbalanced by the fact that i think that, for the crowd i was serving, it was actually better that it was done the way it got done - (we don't do things wrong up here, just a little different!).

after a pre-determined point, the servers for the other entries left and the event became more of a serve-yourself kind of thing. because we were still cutting and skewering, this gave us a chance to continue to greet with people, visit with them and serve them personally. i had several compliments on my ribs and many "return customers," so to speak. one guy looked over each of the entries carefully, finally saw ours, and said, THOSE are the ones i was looking for!" and grabbed a few and went back to his table. received a few comments on how different they were and because of the unique method, look and flavor might have missed out a bit, but overall i was satisfied with the results while also keeping in mind the parts where i didn't do as well as i wanted to personally.

when it was getting toward the end, i loaded up a couple of styrofoam trays with portions to take back home to share with my wife and save for tomorrow (today!) and left a few for any late comers or those who wanted 2nds or 3rds. i figured that my lack of experience and the other factors kept me out of any placings and i wasn't even on any radar for placings. we went out, gathered our stuff up into our minivan and were about to leave when my mother, (who had attended) came out and said that she saw the results sheet. as it turned out, we placed third! well, i must say, i was pretty proud of that and very pleased, in spite of the fact that 3rd place won no prize. then i found out that the only thing separating third from first was three votes, which means that four more votes would have earned us the win! my boys and i didn't vote, as i figured that would be a bit unsporting; but then we found out that the four-person team who did win first place voted for themselves, and i am sure that was also the case with the 2nd place team. that, plus the toothpick color confusion just might have kept us out of the money.
i wasn't angry or disappointed or anything, but i did think to myself, well there it is, you could have taken first! instead of lamenting the money i missed out on (i still don't know how much it was), i took a little pride in the fact that we earned what we got with a clean vote and still came so close to having the best entry - not bad for someone who had never done this and had only heard about it the night before.

will i be in next year? you bet!

oh, and i must say, after sitting in the fridge overnight and reheating, these things are still pretty darn good! :)
finally, i want to give recognition to my sons who served as my team! all did very well and came through when i needed them most, and that was much appreciated. good way to spend time with family!
one bit of bad news - no q-view! #3 son forgot to grab the camera and wife was unable to attend with her camera phone because she was feeling very unwell (i won't go into details, but her ailment started with the letter "CRAMPS!")
i am hoping that the local paper will come out with a few pix and will also try to check with a couple of other people who were there.
well, this was a bit longer than intended, but a great experience. please feel free to offer any comments, advice or criticisms as i do want to learn and improve if possible.

thanks to all!was i happy with the results of my efforts? well, i'd say it ws close to 75/25.

on the plus side, i had only heard about this the night before and i put it together very well. i took the "hard" road by using charcoal ECBs and tended my fires while most others just put the ribs on and then went into the bar. i was one of the very few people doing them in the southern barbecue style - nearly all toehrs were making some great looking and smelling ribs, but they were using methods and recipes that would have complimented beef much more than pork. everything was juicy and fork tender, with all but the thickest pieces having a great smoke ring.

on the minus side, i didn't know what i was doing and the resulting condusion led me to be more unorganized than i prefer. i didn't get as much smoke as i would have liked and the thicker portions had no bark. there were a few crispy, almost burned ends on some of the ribs, but ironically, these got the most smoke flavor. i didn't quite use as much rib as i should have and they came off as slightly lacking in the BBQ flavor that i like with that rub. the glaze was not applied as i would have preferred, missing a chance to put that wet/dry sheen on my entries. this was counterbalanced by the fact that i think that, for the crowd i was serving, it was actually better that it was done the way it got done - we don't do things wrong up here, just a little different!).

after a pre-determined point, the servers for the other entries left and the event became more of a serve-yourself kind of thing. because we were still cutting and skewering, this gave us a chance to continue to greet with people, visit with them and serve them personally. i had several compliments on my ribs and many "return customers," so to speak. one guy looked voer each of the entries carefully, finally saw ours, and said, THOSE are the ones i was looking for!" and grabbed a few and went back to his table. received a few comments on how different they were and becuase of the unique method, look and flavor might have missed out a bit, but overall i was satisfied with the results while also keeping in mind the parts where i didn't do as well as i wanted to personally.

when it was getting toward the end, i loaded up a couple of styrooam trays with portions to take back home to share with my wife and save for tomorrow (today!) and left a few for any late comers or those who wanted 2nds or 3rds. i figured that my lack of experience and the other factors kept me out of any placings and i wasn't even on any radar for placings. we went out, gathered our stuff up into our minivan and were about to leave when my mother, who had attended) came out and said that she saw the results sheet. as it turned out, we placed third! well, i must say, i was pretty rpud of that and very pleased, in spite of the fact that 3rd place won no prize. then i found out that the only thing separating third from first was three votes, which means that four more votes would have earned us the win! my boys and i didn't vote, as i figured that would be a bit unsporting; but then we found out that the four-person team who did win first place voted for themselves, and i am sure that was also the case with the 2nd place team. i wasn't angry or disappointed or anything, but i did think to myself, well there it is, you could have taken first! instead of lamenting the money i missed out on (i still don't know how much it was), i took a little pride in the fact that we earned what we got with a clean vote and still came so close to having the best entry - not bad for someone who had never done this and had only heard about it the night before.

will i be in next year? you bet!

oh, and i must say, after sitting in the fridge overnight and reheating, these things are still pretty darn good! :)

well, this was a bit longer than intended, but a great experience. please feel free to offer any comments, advice or criticisms as i do want to learn and improve if possible.

thanks to all!

Congrats on a fine sounding job , done by all
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif
, you had fun ,gained alot of experience , and did very well .I don't believe any team members should be allowed to vote in any kind of contest , in order to keep it fair for everyone .... you did the right thing and should be very proud of yourself and your team .

TasunkaWitko
Excellent thread and very enjoyable to read. Congrats on the cook off which created family bonding and many memories. I am looking forward allready to hearing next years results !!!

PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Congrats, you are a WINNER in my book to have pulled that off at all.

way to go TW, seems to me with the time given and the basically last second entrance, overcame barriers such as smokers,ingred.team, etc that you did just fine.... and who cud pass up the shot at doin 30 lbs
of ribs at one shot.... so for a first time and the above this has got to be
huge. 3rd place and all that.... think about the possibillities for next time!!!
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif
great job

Thats sweet! A third with no time to prep, that equates to a first if you'd had time to prep. Looking forward to hearin bout more smokes.
cool.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky