Frozen goose, planning on curing and defrosting in my Smoker, should i light it?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Odie Oskarsson

Original poster
Nov 12, 2018
Hampton, Va
So, a friend gifted me a goose that he shot last weekend that he threw undressed into the freezer, I plucked it today and chopped the head off and hung it in my cold smoker to thaw and hopefully drain, its hanging out in the low 30s around here right now (above freezing) I plan on curing all of the meat, is there any reason I shouldnt light the smoke, it doesnt affect the temp in the smoker much, only about 5 deg, that puts the chamber at about 38-40 deg f. ?

I definitely wouldn't do that. Also does it still have it's guts? You shouldn't even thaw it in your smoker unlit
Guts and all, how should I defrost it, I've been agonizing over this and the smoker seemed the best option with the potential bleed out given the outside temps.

Guts and all, how should I defrost it, I've been agonizing over this and the smoker seemed the best option with the potential bleed out given the outside temps.
Guts in would be the biggest thing I'd worry about. When they are shot the pellets puncture all sorts of organs including stomach, intestines and bladder. It's good practice to field dress any wild game shortly after the kill. Some nasty stuff in the innards that needs to come out. Was probably SEVERAL hours between kill and frozen which isn't good. Now you are gonna thaw and introduce all that bacteria back into the bird.......but with all that said it's best to thaw in a controlled environment such as a refrigerator

That sounds like solid advice, I'll drop it in a pan in the fridge, thanks friend, I'm not a hunter and I dont get much wild game other than deer.
Guts in would be the biggest thing I'd worry about. When they are shot the pellets puncture all sorts of organs including stomach, intestines and bladder. It's good practice to field dress any wild game shortly after the kill. Some nasty stuff in the innards that needs to come out. Was probably SEVERAL hours between kill and frozen which isn't good. Now you are gonna thaw and introduce all that bacteria back into the bird.......but with all that said it's best to thaw in a controlled environment such as a refrigerator

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky