FRIED CABBAGE AND BACON WITH EGGS

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Sowsage

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Oct 18, 2017
Maplewood OH
Well its not smoked or grilled but the bacon counts for something right? We do this often in the cold months and it makes for a pretty filling meal. Here is how i do it. CAUTION LOTS OF BACON GREASE!

I start with diced bacon. This was a 12oz pack. Put it in the cast iron pot and start to cook it down
20191107_164505.jpg

A little sizzling action
20191107_163425.jpg

Then i cut a cabbage in quarters and remove the stem/hard white core. I like to also seperate the inner white parts from the outer more leafy green parts. I cook down the white parts first because it takes longer to get soft. And i like my cabbage cooked way down . The green leafy parts dont have to be as cooked down just soft.
20191107_163653.jpg

Then rough chop the white parts and start adding to the pot. I cant get it all in at once but as it cooks down i just add more untill its all in there.
20191107_163757.jpg
20191107_163840.jpg

Keep stiring it up and folding in the bacon while its cooking down
20191107_164004.jpg

Once all the white parts are added in and cooked down real good it looks something like this
20191107_164308.jpg

Then its time to start adding the outer green leafy parts and get those cooked until soft
20191107_164410.jpg
19121.jpeg

I like to eat mine with a couple of over easy eggs seasoned with salt pepper and some chilli powder.
20191107_164702.jpg

And now for a little egg yolk action!
20191107_162001.jpg

This dish isnt for everyone but we sure like it around here. Thanks for taking a look!

jcam222 jcam222 this should be right up your alley on the keto thing. I'm pretty sure this qualifies for that.

Reactions: jcam222
Hmm, I often eat Bacon pieces mixed with Eggs, but never tried that with Cabbage.
Odds are I'd love it, but Mrs Bear might not like the After-effects!!
Thanks for showing!
Like.

Bear

Reactions: chopsaw
Sowsage you are right we love that in my house!! Cook cabbage with bacon is one of our favs. I’ll have to try it with eggs I’ve not done that. We often eat it solo or as a side for steaks. Yours looks great.

Hmm, I often eat Bacon pieces mixed with Eggs, but never tried that with Cabbage.
Odds are I'd love it, but Mrs Bear might not like the After-effects!!
Thanks for showing!
Like.

Bear
Yes After-effects are definitely possible with this one! Lol!

Sowsage you are right we love that in my house!! Cook cabbage with bacon is one of our favs. I’ll have to try it with eggs I’ve not done that. We often eat it solo or as a side for steaks. Yours looks great.
Thanks! Yes definitely try the eggs. If you like a runny yolk youll love it! The yolk really adds something to it for sure!

well now I know how to incorporate cabbage in my bean soups and baked beans. thanks.. I only use bag beans never canned

My Wife and I must be odd! I've made Fried Cabbage and Onions in Bacon Grease and we Hated it! Now in our defense, we bother grew up on Cabbage and Onions Fried in a lot of Butter, and eat it frequently as Halushki, Cabbage and Noodles. We also eat it as a side and as a filling for Pierogi. I have not tried Fried Cabbage and Eggs but seeing how good your dish looks, it will be going to the top of my list. Thanks for posting...JJ

Reactions: Sowsage
I always do cured pork and cabbage, I also like a little apple and brown sugar on iot! I like eggs but never thought of cabbage, did I mention I really like cabbage? LOL.... its harder on dates than onions ever were.... Gonna have to try this, its most definitely cabbage season here now too!

Thanks for showing me something new!

I always do cured pork and cabbage, I also like a little apple and brown sugar on iot! I like eggs but never thought of cabbage, did I mention I really like cabbage? LOL.... its harder on dates than onions ever were.... Gonna have to try this, its most definitely cabbage season here now too!

Thanks for showing me something new!
Thanks for the like! Apple and brown sugar sounds amazing! Ill be trying that out soon!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky