Fresh Strawberry Pie ~ Foamheart

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

foamheart

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
Its 75 and beautiful out today, I guess out winter is over. Yesterday my baby sister brought me some beautiful fresh berries. They are HUGE! So big that 20 berries makes a whole pie big! After much thought last night and quite a few berries, I decided I needed a pie. But not just any pie, its a good pie we all know that, but I used a N'illa wafer crust. It could been a regular pie crust but berry pies need the reefer and regular crusts don't do reefer well. That leaves chocolate cookie, graham cracker or N'illa wafer.

Before you ask!
Strawberry Glazed Pie ~ Foamheart

Ingredients:
2 - 3 lbs Cleaned & Cored fresh strawberries Cut in chucks if too big
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup cornstarch
3 tbsps Original jello
2/3 cup ginger ale
2/3 cup water
red food color if needed
1 9" pie shell Reg., Graham, choco, or vanilla wafer
Fresh Whipped Cream

Directions:
Nix sugar, corn starch, jello and add wtaer and ginger ale in a sauce pan. Heat till it starts thickening and add food color if needed.
Arange whole and chunked berries in pie crust and pour hot mixture over all. Try to cover all berries with gelatin to encapsulate so it will last longer.
Refrigerate if needed. Once you refrigerate berries they must remain that way till consumed.

Notes
1. If strawberries are not sweet enough you can dust them with a couple of tablespoons of powdered sugar before covering with jello mixture. Too much sugar will draw out juices so use sparingly.
2. If you have no strawberry jello you can omit. I have used a small amount of strawberry liqueur
3. Pie crusts you can use either regular pie crust but it will not be too good after refrigeration. Or Chocolate cookie, graham cracker or vanilla wafer.

OK, I guess you wantta see it too?

IMG_9483.JPG

IMG_9480.JPG

IMG_9485.JPG

Made some fresh whipped cream to put on top!!

Think I'll go have some, I made my mouth water talking about it.

Mm! Looks good Foamy! I never did a nilla crust, I tend to trust in the good ole Buttermilk crust for all things! <also never had a pie last more then 24 hours round here!>

Beautiful.Jealous.We won't have fresh strawberries for a looong while.

First off, I couldn't wait. I made it an hour ago and its still warm. You should allow it to chill first....
OMG that is the best pie I ever had! I am serious! I should go into business, I couldn't make enough of those. DAMN thats good!

Thanks MC, I understand about not getting berries for a long time yet, and people here figure it offsets the mosquitos, heat and humidity we have for ten of twelve months a year....LOL

Sam's berries are not too bad and they are year round, but we seriously grow so many locally I doubt Sams sales too many except for the city folks. I mean, I am guessing but I still have 40 or 50 qts. in the deep freeze from last year (all sliced and sugared ready for a short cake).

Mm! Looks good Foamy! I never did a nilla crust, I tend to trust in the good ole Buttermilk crust for all things! <also never had a pie last more then 24 hours round here!>

LOL I agree with that, but generally during mid-season I'd never make just one pie. A regular crust like for a meringue pie is fine. The only time I ever saw a vanilla wafer crust was my Mom occasionally when she did know Pop had sneaked all the graham crackers and she didn't have any for a lemon pie crust. Its really a great crust!

C'mon Kevin.You're killin me.

That pie may not make it till the sun come up! I can't believe I did that...... I really suggest you get a copy of that recipe!
I can see it all now, "Uncle Goldie's Strawberry Pies" 20.00/pie! No sense messing around with a bunch a change or bills. No Visa or MC, cash only! LOL I'll have to eat enough to be sick of them, so I could make 'em for sale!

Local berries already!?!? Dang, I won't see local berries until June. That pie looks great. We made them at one restaurant I worked but the Baker used Canned Jell. Ok but not great. I need to try your's. I am also looking forward to the Strawberry Rhubarb Pies of the late spring / early summer. I love that sweet and sour flavor combo...JJ

What no rhubarb too?
Looks mighty scrumptious.

Thank you

Not a lot of rhubarb here, its generally grown for the transients.

Thank you
Local berries already!?!? Dang, I won't see local berries until June. That pie looks great. We made them at one restaurant I worked but the Baker used Canned Jell. Ok but not great. I need to try your's. I am also looking forward to the Strawberry Rhubarb Pies of the late spring / early summer. I love that sweet and sour flavor combo...JJ

Thanks Chef!

Chef try my Gel, its too easy and it beats those others hands down. Or so I think anyway.

Chef I have a question, have you seen anyone use "Nilla wafers for a crust like that? My Mom was the only one I knew who did it and it was necessity because POp ate her graham crackers for a lemon pie crust..... LOL

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky