Freezing cured pork question?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ogre

Original poster
Sep 24, 2012
Indiana
I hope I already know the answer to this question but thought I would tap into the fount of experience here in the forums.
I cut about 25 Lbs of pork butt into 2 " pieces and used three different recipe spice blends + cure and incorporated that into 3 units, covered those three units and put it in the fridge over night to grind and stuff the next day. Well as luck would have it I had major grinder failur and on top of that the next day brought sub freezing temps to my area, the temp is a problame because I use cold smoke, well not this cold.
So the question is since I can't finish grinding, stuffing, and smoking can I freeze the spiced, cured pork until I'm ready for it, without any ill effects?

Yes, certainly.  As freezing bursts cell walls, you will lose some of the inherent moisture inside the meat (the 'runoff' when you unthaw it).  One way to overcome that, if you have it, is use a little sodium phosphate, about ¼ tsp. per lb., and a little water added; it will help the meat reabsorb and retain moisture. 

Last edited:
I do not have sodium phosphate, I hope the good news is that all of these recipes call for water, I was waiting to mix that in upon grinding so it has not been added in yet. Thanks Pop's.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky