Fly in Advertisements showing up

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bbally

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Aug 24, 2007
Western Colorado
The last couple days a large "cover the browser" type fly in advertisement comes up over the screen when coming into SMF.

Kind of a pain as on the laptop the place to close it is off the screen.

Is this a malware thing?  A virus thing?

The huddler platform seems to be going backwards to me?

It's not malware but it is annoying. I saw it yesterday and have emailed Huddler already so they can get with the ad network and get it pulled from the lineup.Fortunately, it seems to have a cookie that only allows it to show once for every visitor as long as your browser is handling the cookies correctly. This is purely assumption but I tried for more than an hour to get it to come up again for me and it never did. Still not seeing it this morning either.I had my wife try it on her laptop and it once again showed up immediately but once she closed out of it, it would not show up again.

I usually stay logged in all day and a few time if i "refresh" it will pop up again... I figured you were making some money off of them so i just went with it LOL!!!!

It's not malware but it is annoying. I saw it yesterday and have emailed Huddler already so they can get with the ad network and get it pulled from the lineup. Fortunately, it seems to have a cookie that only allows it to show once for every visitor as long as your browser is handling the cookies correctly. This is purely assumption but I tried for more than an hour to get it to come up again for me and it never did. Still not seeing it this morning either. I had my wife try it on her laptop and it once again showed up immediately but once she closed out of it, it would not show up again.

Just one more thing..  the ads are inevitable and not going away however, it does mean that myself and Huddler have to stay on our proverbial toes to make sure that all of the ads are as relevant as possible and are performing as they should.

We shut down an ad network a few months back due to some uncouth behavior and we will do that again if necessary so try to understand that the ads are necessary for what I am trying to do her but that I also promise to give them my full attention if they are behaving in a way that is not correct.

I appreciate the heads up on anything that you feel is "outside of the lines" in our advertising efforts.

Its all good with me... they haven't hindered my time on the forum or stopped me from posting and browsing... Not that my opinion is the end all be all or anything LOL!

Just one more thing..  the ads are inevitable and not going away however, it does mean that myself and Huddler have to stay on our proverbial toes to make sure that all of the ads are as relevant as possible and are performing as they should.

We shut down an ad network a few months back due to some uncouth behavior and we will do that again if necessary so try to understand that the ads are necessary for what I am trying to do her but that I also promise to give them my full attention if they are behaving in a way that is not correct.

I appreciate the heads up on anything that you feel is "outside of the lines" in our advertising efforts.

I usually stay logged in all day and a few time if i "refresh" it will pop up again... I figured you were making some money off of them so i just went with it LOL!!!!

It's not malware but it is annoying. I saw it yesterday and have emailed Huddler already so they can get with the ad network and get it pulled from the lineup. Fortunately, it seems to have a cookie that only allows it to show once for every visitor as long as your browser is handling the cookies correctly. This is purely assumption but I tried for more than an hour to get it to come up again for me and it never did. Still not seeing it this morning either. I had my wife try it on her laptop and it once again showed up immediately but once she closed out of it, it would not show up again.

We do make a little $$ from the ads but I'm not interested in being that annoying just to get folks to click on the them. If something interests you, click on it. If it doesn't then it should just stay in it's own corner and mind it's own business.

My wife says I'm annoying but then that's an entirely different story for another day
icon_mrgreen.gif

We do make a little $$ from the ads but I'm not interested in being that annoying just to get folks to click on the them. If something interests you, click on it. If it doesn't then it should just stay in it's own corner and mind it's own business.

My wife says I'm annoying but then that's an entirely different story for another day
icon_mrgreen.gif
Why another day?  Why not share it right now?  By all means....
icon_twisted.gif

icon_mrgreen.gif
icon_twisted.gif
Alright, who let her out of her cage!!
ROTF.gif

LOL!!!!! Its like our parents are quarreling LOL!!!!!!!!!

I hope we get a QView of Jeff sleeping on the couch 2night!

icon_mrgreen.gif
icon_twisted.gif

icon_mrgreen.gif
icon_twisted.gif
Alright, who let her out of her cage!!
ROTF.gif

icon_mrgreen.gif
icon_twisted.gif

Hmmm, Does this mean Jeff has to stay in his corner, like a good little ad?

I have not seen "The Fly" as of yet, except on TV with Vincent Price, and once with Jeff Goldblum. I preferred the older one with Vincent Price.

Thanks for staying on top of things Jeff!

Bear

It is only happening to me when I log on and its not every time. Maybe one in five. I have no problem with ads at all, business is business and we wouldn't have this place if you couldn't make a few bucks. Pop ups however are out of bounds and I'm glad you are working on the problem.

Last edited:
icon_cool.gif

Hang on there guys and girls I'm popping the pocorn now. I want to have a front row seat for this. Hang on it's almost done popping........................................................................................................ok it's done Ready..........Set...................GO ........................................well

I've not seen it.  Perhaps that is because of the way I get here.  I once saved a shortcut to the "Electric Smoker Forum" onto my desktop, and now to get here I double click on that.  It opens the forum and I am logged in.

Jeff,

When I first log on the ad to the right of the SMF logo is for dating Thai or Asian girls or is an ad in French then it will change to this:
doesn't really bother me, just thought you might want to know what is happening on your site outside of the States.

Gene

Sounds like you get the cool ads Gene, I never see Asian girls...
mad.gif

Jeff,

When I first log on the ad to the right of the SMF logo is for dating Thai or Asian girls or is an ad in French then it will change to this:
doesn't really bother me, just thought you might want to know what is happening on your site outside of the States.

Gene

Steve,

Come to Tahiti, the Polynesians migrated from Malaysia and the the Chinese came here to escape Communism, my wife's grandfather was Chinese and her mother is Polynesian, I don't need the ads, I'm married to one!  LOL

Gene

Sounds like you get the cool ads Gene, I never see Asian girls...
mad.gif

Jeff,

Gene

Jeff,

Gene

That is certainly interesting.. I don't know what drives the ads exactly as far as the intelligence that makes them pull the relevant stuff. Most of what you see should be related to the site content but then that does not mean that we won't see ads for Ford or even dish washing soap once in a while. Maybe it gets better over time. It makes sense for them to show us the stuff we are interested in so the ads will get clicked. Not sure about you guys, but I don't click on ads for Dove hand soap.. I would click an Ad for a man toy of some sort even if it was not relative to our immediate site content if it caught my attention and looked interesting enough. (and no, I am not referring to Asian girls!)
icon_mrgreen.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky