Flame under Masterbuilt XL (not in the burner area)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Another account created just to thank/bump this post. I had my masterbuilt 30in for about 2 months, smoked on it about 4-5 times without a problem, then today i waited about an hour for it to get to temp, highest I got as 170... so turned it up to high to speed it up... damn I thought the smoker was getting ready to blast off into orbit when I saw those flames shooting out the bottom.

Read this post here, and a few screws later I saw a giant blockage of spider crap in the burner tube assembly... little help from a screwdriver and my compressor and now she is throwing flame exactly where it needs to be... and got up to temp (mind you no water in the pan) in a matter of minutes.

Thank you all!

Glad you fixed your problem.... There's LOTS of good information on this forum... Stick around and add some great ideas to your smoking arsenal.... Great folks on here too...

Maintenance is always a safe bet. Propane is safe but can be very unsafe if not treated with respect. Always check for problems and cleaning specially after it has sit for a while and look for problems any time when in use. Be safe shut it down until problem is corrected.

Warren

Maintenance is always a safe bet. Propane is safe but can be very unsafe if not treated with respect. Always check for problems and cleaning specially after it has sit for a while and look for problems any time when in use. Be safe shut it down until problem is corrected.

Warren

Good advice is timeless. This was the solution to my problem. Is there any easy way to keep it from happening again? Any suggested maintenance?

Tom

Glad to see this! I had the same problem this weekend. Could only get smoker to 237F .... i put aluminum foil over the air holes and the temp shot up to 315 and stopped shooting fire out the front of my smoker. I didnt like having to do this so when i get home i will look for spiders.

Added some pics to show fire ... the duct tape has since been replaced by aluminum foil cover all the holes.

Last edited:
I went to use my Masterbuilt XL for the first time this year and tried it out last night before todays smoke. I started it up and the flame seemed very small so I let it go for a while and all of a sudden there was a fire under the smoker. It looks like it is coming from where the burner pipe meets the gas pipe. The pipe has holes ( I assume for safety) and it seems like gas is leaking from there and catching fire. I have to turn the gas all the way up to seem to get any flame on the burner when I do this the fire catches after 10 minutes or so.

I have tried to push the pipe in farther but doesn't seem to move at all. It worked before I put it away for the winter. Just wondering if anyone has any ideas. Might have to do the Boston Butt in the oven today....this is a sad sad day

Made an account just to thank you guys, i was having a fire at the venturi every time i turned on the propane, and yep spider webs. This is my 2nd time smoking. Saved my pork shoulder from the oven!

Reactions: daveomak
Thanks for the pointers here. I had spiders clogging things up as well after I relocated my Masterbuilt off the patio. However, the arachnid essence was quite a compliment to my cherrywood pork shoulder.

Peace

• Haha
Reactions: daveomak
Hi all, just joined to throw my hat in and say my Masterbuilt just blew itself up! I’ve had the flame issue before, thought I got it cleared up but must have gotten a new spider resident on the tube. 2 hours into smoking a pork butt the gas hose melted and blew up the whole deal! I’m giving up on the gas vault smoker, not cool.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky