Fishing Rods Suggestions from you Fisherman

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BrianGSDTexoma

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 1, 2018
North Texas, Texoma
I still on the hunt for a boat and probably a truck to replace my 97 jeep. All my rods and reels are old. I do still like the quick fires but not many of them anymore. Should be good time to upgrade. Any suggestions on rods that won't break the bank? Be Black Bass and Striper fishing mostly. I been out of the game for a while now. Bought a couple KingCast spinning reels to try out.

Since the wife and I do 100% ocean fishing for Salmon, Rock cod, Halibut, etc. I have no idea what rods and reels are best for bass and striper. We use level wind reels by shimano and Diawa.

Seeker and Diawa make a variety of rods which I'm sure include for the fish you'll be mainly after.

I have a ugly stick ultra lite. Use it for bass and catfish. Love it and was probably around your price range. Can't remember

Reactions: Steve H
Bass pro seems to have good stock on some of the GX2Ugly sticks. They have a fair amount of their store brand graphite rods and some nice Berkeley Lighting rods that fit your budget.

Reactions: TNJAKE
I only salt water fish so not 100% sure but as others have said check out the ugly sticks, also check out the Bass Pro Rods they actually make some decent ones so I have found out at another members suggestion

Reactions: jcam222 and TNJAKE
I have a ugly stick ultra lite. Use it for bass and catfish. Love it and was probably around your price range. Can't remember
Bass pro seems to have good stock on some of the GX2Ugly sticks. They have a fair amount of their store brand graphite rods and some nice Berkeley Lighting rods that fit your budget.
I will give them a look. Thanks. Not been having much luck bank fishing but nice to get out. My bud takes my out every few weeks in the boat but not enough for me. I ready to dive back in. Used to live to fish than things happened.

Reactions: jcam222 and TNJAKE
I have a couple 7 1/2 foot Ugly Stick cat rods I use for big channel cat. Love them and being white easy to see if night fishing too.

Reactions: TNJAKE
I have a couple 7 1/2 foot Ugly Stick cat rods I use for big channel cat. Love them and being white easy to see if night fishing too.
I having the same problem I was having early. I always got 1 piece rods. Seem hard to find in 6'6 or 7. See a Med Heavy but probably want Medium. I think the ugly stick way to go. I will keep watch.

In that price range I think they got you covered with the Ugly Stick.
I have been a St Croix fan for 30+ years. Spendy, but have great feel to them and have never broke one yet.

13 fishing makes some good ones along with a lot of brands. I think ugly stick was a great suggestion for all around good, tough, reasonably priced rod. Their used to be an ugly stick commercial in the 90’s that showed one getting slammed in the car door and still going strong 😀

Reactions: jcam222
Another vote for Ugly stick. I also like my baitcasting rig from Abu Garcia. And my spinning reel of choice are the Mitchell 300 series. Been using them since I was a kid. And I have a couple Berkley cherrywood rods. Another good quality rig. I also have some ultralight rigs with the ugly stick. and another brand I don't remember off the top of my head.

Last edited:
Reactions: DRKsmoking
So many choices with so many kinds of fishing. So many Rod styles

We do about 50/50 salt or fresh fishing. I have solid 7' for salt ,but also like to use a med for fishing for mackerel , love the fight
Also light to med 6.5'- 7' for lake trout and small mouth bass
Always have 2 telescopic kits in the truck or car , if driving and have the time to stop at a nice river , brook or stream

But our most fun is in the boat , with our hand lines , jigging for Cod, Halibut and or Haddock.100pound test line on a " H " shaped wooden frame, Monas most fun way

David

So many choices with so many kinds of fishing. So many Rod styles

We do about 50/50 salt or fresh fishing. I have solid 7' for salt ,but also like to use a med for fishing for mackerel , love the fight
Also light to med 6.5'- 7' for lake trout and small mouth bass
Always have 2 telescopic kits in the truck or car , if driving and have the time to stop at a nice river , brook or stream

But our most fun is in the boat , with our hand lines , jigging for Cod, Halibut and or Haddock.100pound test line on a " H " shaped wooden frame, Monas most fun way

David
I here you. Talked to my fishing buddy last night and he does not like Ugly Sticks. He says they will wear you out but he has all high end stuff! I not ready to go there yet. I was stuck on one piece rods which can be hard to find what you looking for. I going to open up to looking at 2 piece.

Brian, there are lots of sizes and styles and wide price ranges.
I even use a 4' rod for brook trout. Some of the brooks here are so had to walk the banks
and filled with hanging trees and logs. We have to actually walk up stream in the stream while fishing.
many fun days fishing with Dad this way. Short rod for getting into the little nooks and crannies

So I guess it is how you really want the feel of the bites, You will find what you like

And a new truck and new boat, I see a fun year coming your way :emoji_grin:

David

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky