Fish Tacos & Garlic Shrimp aka... Tacos de Pescado ~ Camarones Al Mojo de Ajo

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

thirdeye

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Dec 1, 2019
The Cowboy State - Wyoming
This is one of my favorite combinations... the shrimp are marinated in garlic, salt, pepper, poblano chile powder, vinegar, lime juice and olive oil for a couple of hours. If you go longer, just omit the lime juice until 10 minutes before grilling. I deep fried the flounder in a seasoned corn meal mix. And the tacos had radish, red onion, cabbage, cilantro and aioli style sauce with poblano powder.

xsY7B49.jpg
HBOot1y.jpg
uCbbLWF.jpg
EdvArzK.jpg
mdeIvYA.jpg
4uJHQFi.jpg
iGHIOkp.jpg

Awesome tacos! Topings are perfect! I could eat a meal like that for weeks and not get tired of it!

I love fish taco.
Never had flounder. Prefer dolphin (Mahi Mahi) as it it very neutral.

This is one of my favorite combinations... the shrimp are marinated in garlic, salt, pepper, poblano chile powder, vinegar, lime juice and olive oil for a couple of hours. If you go longer, just omit the lime juice until 10 minutes before grilling.
I never marinate any fresh water fish or seafood in vinegar or citrus juice (acid) for longer than 5 minutes unless going for ceviche. Acidic changes the texture very quickly.

tacos look awesome! But man those shrimp...wow! Very nice

Ryan

I love fish taco.
Never had flounder. Prefer dolphin (Mahi Mahi) as it it very neutral.

I never marinate any fresh water fish or seafood in vinegar or citrus juice (acid) for longer than 5 minutes unless going for ceviche. Acidic changes the texture very quickly.

Fish tacos are wonderful. A couple of years ago I spent 2 weeks in San Diego and must have had 6 different varieties, even the fast food version of Rubio's.

The acetic acid in vinegar and citric acid from lime is mostly for a flavor pop, it can preserve the color of seafood, but you are correct.... it gives a headstart on breaking down the protein in the shrimp. So....,They cook faster, and to a lower internal temp but remain super juicy and have a nice crunch. The amounts in this recipe are tiny compared to a South American ceviche or a Kinilaw from the Philippines. You can use rice wine vinegar which is milder.

If you do a wrapped finish on your smoked ribs, (especially if you use the brown sugar or fruit nectar) try a drizzle of rice wine vinegar in the foil pouch. It knocks the sweetness off the sugars, and adds a pop.

The acetic acid in vinegar and citric acid from lime is mostly for a flavor pop, it can preserve the color of seafood, but you are correct.... it gives a headstart on breaking down the protein in the shrimp. So....,They cook faster, and to a lower internal temp but remain super juicy and have a nice crunch. The amounts in this recipe are tiny compared to a South American ceviche or a Kinilaw from the Philippines. You can use rice wine vinegar which is milder.

If you do a wrapped finish on your smoked ribs, (especially if you use the brown sugar or fruit nectar) try a drizzle of rice wine vinegar in the foil pouch. It knocks the sweetness off the sugars, and adds a pop.
Ah, you like the snap.
I don't like the texture of a partially marinated (ceviche) seafood that is cooked.
I love Caribbean style ceviche (especially conch)

I don't wrap ribs, but good tip for those that do sweet wrap with sugars or fruit juice.

Damn!!! The Mexican foodies have sure upped the game in the last few months.
I'm a self admitted Mexican food junky, that all looks amazing. :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

What a beautiful looking plate and tacos. I too could eat my body weight in shrimp. Very nicely done!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky