first try on summer sausage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mr crab

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 28, 2014
I got inspired by the summer sausage post here a few days ago. So i decided to try making it for the first time. I used the recipe below...but used about a cup of powdered milk and added cayenne and extra black pepper. I mixed everything last night and have it sitting in a tub in the fridge. I plan to stuff into 2.5" fibrous casings tonight and let em ferment in the fridge till saturday morning. Im looking for any tips or suggestions from the guys with summer sausage experience here...also what wood goes best on summer sausage? I use mesquite for my rope and link sausages, just wonder if mesquite would be good on summer sausage?

Recipe looks good, the additions you made will be fine for sure, and letting things rest will be good as well.

I avoid mesquite with sausages since it can become over powering in a short amount of time.  Pecan, hickory, and alder have all yeilded good results for me with SS.

How do you plan to smoke the sausage? (temps)

Reactions: mr crab
Just gonna do the tried and true method of 120 with no smoke for an hour or so then add wood and slowly raise the temp over several hours never going above 170 until IT is about 150, then ice bath to IT of 100 then dry and bloom for a couple hours before an overnight stay in the fridge then package

Last edited:
Cranky buzzard....i thought you were a tx boy? Mesquite makes some fine smoked sausage. we make 100lbs of venison-boar links every year. Cold smoke em for 4 or so hours with straight mesquite. Its a very unique flavor.

Leaning toward an oak-hickory mix for the ss tho.

Cranky buzzard....i thought you were a tx boy? Mesquite makes some fine smoked sausage. we make 100lbs of venison-boar links every year. Cold smoke em for 4 or so hours with straight mesquite. Its a very unique flavor.
I agree 100% that mesquite is a good wood!  

Mesquite is a very good wood, but I seldom recommend it to folks that are new to sausage making or new to the smoking world in general.  A little goes a LONG way.  On certain sausages, it's great, on others, not so much.

Wasn't sure about your level of experience and didn't want to have you bite into something that went horribly wrong.  

Post pics when done!

Anybody have first hand experience using oak for s.s.? I have access to oak, hickory, pecan, and mesquite. I dont think mesquite flavor will go well with ss. I keep hearing hickory...maybe ill just go that route, since its proven

Mesquite may be to harsh for SS.

Oak, hickory, apple, pecan sasafrass.

MC, have fun w/ your SS , I  usually drop my SS to the 110-120 range and get good results. Sometimes when you get too low  the sausage doesn't swell while blooming and the casing remains a bit wrinkly .As CB  said please show us some pics of your endeavors !

Thanks for the tip. Ill pull em at
MC, have fun w/ your SS , I  usually drop my SS to the 110-120 range and get good results. Sometimes when you get too low  the sausage doesn't swell while blooming and the casing remains a bit wrinkly .As CB  said please show us some pics of your endeavors !
Thanks for the tip. Ill pul em at 115.

Fried up a test patty. It was very mild to my palate. Im hoping the flavors will intensify between now and christmas day. Many of the posts ive read here have siad it will, so i didnt adjust seasonings at all. fingers crossed

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky