First Tri Tip roast

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
They're still pretty elusive in my part of the world, and looking at yours makes me want to take a road trip somewhere to find one. Nice Job Chop.

Point for sure
Chris

Reactions: chopsaw
Awesome looking TT, Chop!! It’s a shame they’re so hard to find locally in some areas, especially at a cheaper price. They’re $13.50lb here but I ended up ordering one from Certified Piedmontese and I still have one in the freezer.

$13.50 a pound! I just don't get it. I've cooked hundreds and hundreds of tri's over the years, the most I've ever paid was $3.99lb. and that was for trimmed, the untrimmed comes with quite a bit of fat. I've always waited for sales and I almost always cut my own steaks from a sub-primal, rib or New York. Tritip used to be referred to as "Poor Man's Prime" in a younger day, I guess I'm just living in the past and getting to be a old tight wad. Still, there's nothing comes off a cow that I'd pay more than seven bucks a pound for, it's the principle. Standing ribs roast should come in sale tomorrow, I'll be looking for $4.99lb or better for choice. One little trick I've learned over the years is that when bone-in ribeye steak comes on sale is to ask the butcher for the whole standing rib roast at the same price, it works. Sorry, my rant is over. RAY

$13.50 a pound! I just don't get it. I've cooked hundreds and hundreds of tri's over the years, the most I've ever paid was $3.99lb. and that was for trimmed, the untrimmed comes with quite a bit of fat. I've always waited for sales and I almost always cut my own steaks from a sub-primal, rib or New York. Tritip used to be referred to as "Poor Man's Prime" in a younger day, I guess I'm just living in the past and getting to be a old tight wad. Still, there's nothing comes off a cow that I'd pay more than seven bucks a pound for, it's the principle. Standing ribs roast should come in sale tomorrow, I'll be looking for $4.99lb or better for choice. One little trick I've learned over the years is that when bone-in ribeye steak comes on sale is to ask the butcher for the whole standing rib roast at the same price, it works. Sorry, my rant is over. RAY
Don't forget when you buy that great big 3 foot long rib roast at the sale price to have the butcher cut it up into 3 or 4 smaller roasts and have him wrap them individually all for the same price. I have my 150 dollars waiting for the sale to start! Merry Xmas PJ

Reactions: sawhorseray

Yeah the price of beef is outrageous. I wish it weren’t as I’m sure we all are here.

I secretly wish all the new beyond meat products and alternatives take off and the demand for beef drops and so the price...but we don’t live in a perfect world.

Don't forget when you buy that great big 3 foot long rib roast at the sale price to have the butcher cut it up into 3 or 4 smaller roasts and have him wrap them individually all for the same price. I have my 150 dollars waiting for the sale to start! Merry Xmas PJ

Heck PJ, I back the rib bones off and cut my own steaks and roasts, like 'em 1&1/2" thick. RAY
DSCN0928.JPG

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky