First Tri Tip roast

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chopsaw

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Dec 14, 2013
OFallon Mo.
Don't see Tri tip around here , or maybe I don't know where to look . Went to a local grocery and they had a whole section full of them . $8.99 a pound , but went ahead and grabbed one . Turned out to be one of the best cuts of beef I have ever had . Now I know why I see guys talking about Tri Tip . Tender and outstanding beef flavor .

Wanted to do this on the kettle , but crappy weather put a stop to that . I used the MES 30 . Under cover and holds temps great . I used whole mesquite wood chunks right over the element . No pellets , just the wood . Smoked a couple hours at 250 . When the IT got close to 120 , I turned the temp down so I could get more smoke on the meat .

Heated a cast iron skillet and melted some butter , and seared both sides . Rested before slicing . Fantastic piece of meat .
Got a few pics .
20191215_140008.jpg
Trimmed all this fat off
20191215_140538.jpg
I used course steak seasoning and some Andria's brush on steak sauce .
Wrapped and in fridge a couple hours .
20191215_141838.jpg 20191215_141827.jpg

Smoked and in the hot cast iron . Sear first side
This is what it looked like out of smoker . You could run the temp and skip the sear .
20191215_175441.jpg
Both sides seared and resting . Thin edge temp was 140 , thicker parts were 128 before resting .
20191215_175745.jpg
Came out perfect for me . Again , this has fantastic flavor and so tender .
Mesquite smoke on this is just perfect .
Sliced ,
20191215_180802.jpg
This was a great meal .
20191215_181435.jpg

Next night I sliced what was left and made some sliders .
Easy meal after shoveling snow and cleaning off vehicles .
20191216_175442.jpg
Toast some slider buns , add some horseradish .
Just barely heat the slices with some aus jus and close it up .
20191216_201358.jpg 20191216_182932.jpg

Guess I'll be looking for Tri Tip from now on .
Thanks for lookin .

Attachments

• 20191216_182935.jpg
    20191216_182935.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 16
Looks great Chop, I'd be all over that! I've been waiting for a deal on tri-tip for over a year now. It's tough to shell out $$$ for tri-tip when I can regularly get porterhouse cheaper :emoji_astonished:

Very nice. Looks delicious!!! :emoji_cat:

I have just started using tri tips as they are rare as hens teeth around here but I have found that they are a very versatile cut of meat.

I totally understand why some folks like these so much. I like that you can eat it like a steak for dinner then slice it up for some fantastic cold beef sandwiches for lunch.

JC :emoji_cat:

Last edited:
Reactions: chopsaw
I gotta agree that a TT is one of the best cuts on a cow. But if you live where I do they are pretty much non-existent. When I have to pay almost $10 a pound for a TT I would just rather get a filet or a ribeye. And brisket around here is under $3 lb. But I do on occasion buy one, cause I spend $20 lb. for stone crab claws almost every week when they are in season. So $10 for a TT doesn't seem too bad when you look at it that way.
Al

Good job Chopsaw! I live in California and TT is common here vs Brisket. We pay $ 2.50 a lb on sale vs $ 3.20 for Brisket. TT is a lot smaller and more affordable with less leftovers.
Holy crap I wish I could find it for $2.50lb. Just picked up 2 more the other day at $8.99lb. Same price as a whole choice ribeye. I wouldnt pick it over a ribeye every night but it's a equally good change of pace so it's worth it every now and then.

I don't get why the price gets so much higher here in AZ, it's all just part of a cow. Being from CA I always waited till the sales and bought untrimmed tri's for $2.99lb, I haven't seen them in AZ for double that price! BTW Chop, beautiful piece of work on that tritip, perfection on a plate. Like, RAY

Awesome looking TT, Chop!! It’s a shame they’re so hard to find locally in some areas, especially at a cheaper price. They’re $13.50lb here but I ended up ordering one from Certified Piedmontese and I still have one in the freezer.

Looks awesome! I'm another one that cant find tri tip in my area. I bet those sliders were killer with the aus jus and the horseradish! Yum!

Reactions: chopsaw
Thanks for all the comments and the likes . Fed the 3 of us twice , so for $21.00 really not bad .
Thanks again .

Reactions: Hawging It
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky