First tri tip is on!

Discussion in 'Beef' started by pit 4 brains, Jun 12, 2010.

1. pit 4 brains

pit 4 brains Master of the Pit Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

After reading Rich's post today and seeing a tri tip at the store, I decided I just had to do one. So I rubbed my gosm and summoned the great smoke..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

jaxgatorz likes this.
  2. bmudd14474

bmudd14474 Smoking Guru Staff Member Administrator Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Looks like you off to a good start. I like to take mine to 135 then double wrap in foil and rest in a cooler. Cant wait to see your results.

3. pit 4 brains

Ohhhh man was that devine! I took it to 135 and then foiled. I put it back in the smoker, let it get up to temp and then shut it off. It rested in there for about an hour. I served it up with some frenched green beans and mashed red pertaters...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

jaxgatorz likes this.
  4. pineywoods

pineywoods Smoking Guru Staff Member Administrator Group Lead SMF Premier Member

Looks awesome [​IMG]

5. jaxgatorz

jaxgatorz Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Great  looking tip !![​IMG]

6. bmudd14474

bmudd14474 Smoking Guru Staff Member Administrator Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Looks beautiful.[​IMG]

7. mballi3011

mballi3011 Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

[​IMG]

Man I wish I could get some of them here. But you did a great job there Pete. It looks awesome and rare the way I like it too.

8. pit 4 brains

Thanx all.. That is a good hunk of meat to eat! I'll definately be doing more of those. Maybe we can get a few shipped out to ya Mark..

9. newflame

newflame Meat Mopper

what was the final temp you took it to altogether pit?  looks great!

10. rdknb

rdknb Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Dang I looked on table and the second plate seems not to be for me lol.  Looks great

11. roller

roller Smoking Guru SMF Premier Member

If you haven`t been able to get tri-tip at your local stores check out your nearest Sams Club they are starting to carry them all over. They are a little pricey but man you just cant beat them...

Yours looks great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited: Jun 15, 2010
  12. pit 4 brains

I don't know. I guess I should say that I let the smoker come back up to temp after I foiled the meat. I then shut the smoker off and let the meat hang out in there until I was ready to serve.. By the redness and doneness of the meat, I would bet it was between 140 and 145. Without a sere, the meat stays red from top to bottom if ya don't over do it.. Thanx yall

13. meateater

meateater Smoking Guru SMF Premier Member

Thanks for the money shot! Great job! [​IMG]

14. tnbarbq

tnbarbq Fire Starter

Alright, now I have to try a tri tip.  Looks great!

15. ryanhoelzer

ryanhoelzer Smoking Fanatic

I was talking to a butcher the other day about briskets and he said I needed to get a tri tip.  I'm in North Carolina so I didn't give him a whole lot of credit.  Guess I'll have to try one.

16. eman

eman Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member

Sams here has tri tip . Allready cooked in a cryovac pkg. NO THANKS . i'll wait.

17. Awesome job there Pit!! I will have to see if the Sam's here in Baton Rouge carries Tri-tip like Roller pointed out.

18. pit 4 brains

I have to admit that I really " mailed it in " on the sides though... No matter.. That cut of meat steals the show. It's definately like a good ribeye or fillet, it needs no help whatsoever with flavor. I think if you tried to help it out with a wine reduction, mushroom or any other sauce, you would do the meat a disservice, if anything. The rosemary and thyme complimented well, I'll give credit to Rich for that. Next one will be KS&CP with mesquite smoke again..

Last edited: Jun 15, 2010
  19. Great lookin tri-tip. I am overjoyed to actually see someone post a picture of a Tri-Tip that has been cut against the grain, Most cookers do not realize how important that this step is. Keep on cookin----the more tri-tips that you cook---the more you will appreciate keeping it simple.

20. pit 4 brains

Just got two more in the "Managers Special" section for $3.00 off per roast. Total cost was about $12.50 for both! It seems nobody buys them from the grocery store that I go to, so they have them once in a while for a few days and then sell them at a huge discount just to get rid of them. I'll have to keep my eye open for these from now on..

Last edited: Jun 16, 2010