First timer

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Sheed88

Original poster
Nov 15, 2019
Hey everyone,

I just got a smoker and I’m planning on making a smoked Cajun turkey tomorrow (just found out about this awesome website). Any recommendations on the best combination of wood chips/chunks with that Cajun turkey? I’m using a Cajun type brine and then coat it with some Cajun and other spices as well.

I appreciate any advice so just let me know!

I've only done one Turkey so far. I used hickory which seems to be a popular choice. I used pellets in my mail box mod.
What type of smoker did you get?

I would use a fruit wood like apple. a light sweet smoke would go well with poultry and some spices you are using. a couple suggestions...

1. spatchcock the turkey or butterfly as its called too...cut out the back bone and spread out for even done-ness in light and dark meat
2. do not cook a huge turkey. limit a smoked turkey to about 14# if you need more use 2... at 225 degrees you have a possibility of parts of a turkey being 40-140 degrees too long.(over 4 hours) if its one of those 20 lbers
3. for crisp skin spray the skin towards the end like the last 45 min-hour with pam spray and turn up the heat to about 325 degrees to finish.
4. use a meat thermometer and get it to 160 degrees before pulling out the cooker. use the thermometer to judge done -ness and gauge the amount of cook time left

good luck and

Happy Smoking,
phatbac (Aaron)

A lot of it has to do with what type of smoker you got and how high you can get the temp. Apple does pair very well with poultry. I second on the spatchcock method. Turns out great results. If you can smoke at 300-325 and pull when breast gets close to 165 let it rest for 30 min before carving.

A lot of it has to do with what type of smoker you got and how high you can get the temp. Apple does pair very well with poultry. I second on the spatchcock method. Turns out great results. If you can smoke at 300-325 and pull when breast gets close to 165 let it rest for 30 min before carving.

I’m using a vertical masterbuilt propane smoker

Hey everyone,

I just got a smoker and I’m planning on making a smoked Cajun turkey tomorrow (just found out about this awesome website). Any recommendations on the best combination of wood chips/chunks with that Cajun turkey? I’m using a Cajun type brine and then coat it with some Cajun and other spices as well.

I appreciate any advice so just let me know!
What is your Cajun recipe?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky