• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

First time with Turkey on the Ok Joe

bryanmp9c

Fire Starter
Joined May 4, 2013
I ran the bird in a 24hr brine in the fridge, did a little butter injection and finished it with a light rub. Being a 21lb bird I was going with the common cook temp of 325 but I'm wondering if it is cookibg too fast. Pictures are pot to 10 min to 1:30 and at 1.30 it's temp is 121 does that seem too fast ?

bryanmp9c

Fire Starter
Joined May 4, 2013
I did try tucking the wing tips a few times but they won't stay so I will just cut them off.
Just looking for insight as I don't have a backup plan for dinner today.

Thanks

bryanmp9c

Fire Starter
Joined May 4, 2013
Ok 2 hrs breast is in the 150's and dark meat at 140 why did it cook so fast @ 325 ?

uncle eddie

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined May 14, 2016
Whenever I cook turkey at an oven temp...like 325.  It does make the cook time go by very quickly as compared to my normal smoker temp of 225-250.  At 325 I would guess your cook time to be about 4.5 hours +/-. I did a 24 pound turkey in 5 hours.

Do not fret about the early finish time though.  It will still be delicious at supper time.  If you had tried to do a 21 pound bird at normal smoker temp, it would take forever and probably be a dried out bird.

bryanmp9c

Fire Starter
Joined May 4, 2013
Ok thank you for the input I am super surprised that it's cooking so fast. I did read about the big bird cookibg temp that's why I bumped it up. I can't wait to try it I will post final pics when she is wrapped up.

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
It looks fantastic!

Yes a half hour is a good rest time.

Al

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.