First time with Turkey on the Ok Joe

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bryanmp9c

Fire Starter
Original poster
May 4, 2013
Mich
I ran the bird in a 24hr brine in the fridge, did a little butter injection and finished it with a light rub. Being a 21lb bird I was going with the common cook temp of 325 but I'm wondering if it is cookibg too fast. Pictures are pot to 10 min to 1:30 and at 1.30 it's temp is 121 does that seem too fast ?

I did try tucking the wing tips a few times but they won't stay so I will just cut them off.
Just looking for insight as I don't have a backup plan for dinner today.

Thanks

Ok 2 hrs breast is in the 150's and dark meat at 140 why did it cook so fast @ 325 ?

Whenever I cook turkey at an oven temp...like 325.  It does make the cook time go by very quickly as compared to my normal smoker temp of 225-250.  At 325 I would guess your cook time to be about 4.5 hours +/-. I did a 24 pound turkey in 5 hours.

Do not fret about the early finish time though.  It will still be delicious at supper time.  If you had tried to do a 21 pound bird at normal smoker temp, it would take forever and probably be a dried out bird.

Ok thank you for the input I am super surprised that it's cooking so fast. I did read about the big bird cookibg temp that's why I bumped it up. I can't wait to try it I will post final pics when she is wrapped up.

It looks fantastic, it will be delicious.

Nice job 
icon14.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky