1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

First time with new smoker

Discussion in 'Pork' started by Roy Roop, May 16, 2018 at 10:33 AM.

1. Roy Roop

Roy Roop Newbie

Smoked my first pork shoulder last Sunday. 4lb boston butt. Rubbed down with Everglades All Purpose rub. Smoked for 7 hours at 225. Pulled it at 195*, wrapped in tin foil, and allowed to sit for 30 minutes. Most of it pulled great, Couple areas near the bone were a little tougher.
    Flavor was there. And the rub was fantastic. What could i have done different to have it fall apart for me? Smoked with apple wood chips smoker is masterbuilt electric

2. jbellard

jbellard Smoking Fanatic

Roy,
    You were so close but all you need to do next time is two things:
    First, take a probe and make sure that pork butt is tender throughout. It should feel like a hot knife going through butter everyone.
    Second- I usually take the IT up to 205 and achieve this tenderness throughout.

Do these two things and you’ll be good to go my friend.
    Let us know how your next one turns out.

3. hillbillyrkstr

hillbillyrkstr Master of the Pit Group Lead

If it was tougher near the bone it needed more time. I usually pull them around 203 degrees. Bone always pulls out clean.

Scott

4. gmc2003

gmc2003 Master of the Pit

Roy it sounds like your right on the cusp of it being finished. Normally shoulder need to be taken to 203 to 205*. Sounds like your about a 1/2hr to 45mins. away from the ideal temp. When the bone comes out easily then it's done. Glad it turned out good.

Chris

5. Roy Roop

Roy Roop Newbie

Will do, next time will take it up to 200-205, is what I'm seeing most posts indicate. I was impatient at the 7 hour mark lol. Thanks for the quick reply folks! Smoke on!

6. Geebs

Geebs Smoking Fanatic

Funny how everyone has a different temp, I take mine to 208 everytime and the bone slides out like a hot knife in butter.

7. SmokinAl

SmokinAl Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

I think 203 is the magic number, but in any case the bottom line is you didn't cook it long enough!
    Al

8. tropics

tropics Smoking Guru ★ Lifetime Premier ★

I agree with the 200 to 205 But I use a tooth pick to probe for tenderness.
    Richie

9. Smoke23

Smoke23 Meat Mopper

One more thing that you should do on every smoke... Take Pictures and share them with us :D

10. Roy Roop

Roy Roop Newbie

Here's just before I pulled it off.

Attached Files:

11. sauced

sauced Master of the Pit

Yes... Al is spot on, you were almost there!!! I cook mine till 205 or until the bone pulls out easily!