First time smoking bone-in pork shoulder

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smoking pharoah

Original poster
Jul 26, 2015
this is my first time smoking a bone-in pork shoulder. I’ve always used the Costco 2 pack boneless pork shoulders but went with a bone-in this time.
I’m using my 18.5 WSM, a mix of hickory/apple wood chunks, left the water pan in but did not add any water.
2 shoulders on the smoker now, each weighing about 7.5-8 lbs. Started around 5:30 am, right now it’s 9:30 with in an internal temp of 163. Temperature holding steady around 225
Considering it’s been on for 4 hours, is it cooking too fast?
Still debating wheather I should foil or not, depends on the time since I need to get them off the smoker by 3.

Sounds like you are right on schedule. You will stay around this temp for a while. Since each piece of meat is different it is hard to say how long. Personally I would not wrap the shoulder...unless you need to speed up the cook time. there will be bark loss / softening from wrapping. With shoulder you can always turn up the heat and power thru the stall and finish quicker.
Good luck.. let us know how they come out!

Reactions: smoking pharoah
Going well but I would foil if you need them by 3pm so that you’ll have time for the butt to rest.
If the fat cap has cracked on top, I would foil.
Maybe once it’s foiled, I would increase your temp to 250. You have about 6hrs until you want to eat and still have a ways to go. You need it to get another 40-45degrees.
I agree that he will lose a little bit of bark but once I’m thinking he’s ok with losing a little to get it done by his 3pm deadline.

It’s been 6 hours so far, internal temp at 169 and smoker going strong at 230ish.
Haven’t opened the lid and didn’t peek.

IF I don’t foil, will be dry considering I didn’t use water in the water pan?

No. Pork butts will not usually get dry. Too much built in fat.
I will try to use a water pan when smoking ribs. Helps with some moisture as ribs don’t have near the fat/mass as a pork butt

If you add water to your pan now - your WSM's temps will take a nose dive. As stated above shoulders are very forgiving and are hard to dry them out. You almost have to try to do it. On my WSM 22" I never have used water in the pan and don't really plan on it in the future. Your only decision now is to foil or not. Do you want a hard bark or a softer bark?

Chris

Personally I'd bump the temp to 260f and start some prayers. I've never had a pork butt take less then 12 hours, most of mine take 16+ hours. You might need to oven finish this. Though from my experience, that stall should finish soon.

Reactions: Central PA Cowboy
Im not smoking up anything today. Was just trying to let the OP know what I thought of his situation and what to expect.

Should have been a little clearer in my post. But was pressed for time and wanted to help.

Well I'm a big fan of smoking butts in the 270-280 range!
And if you want to eat at 5 or 6 I would definitely bump up the temp.
An 8 lb. butt can easily take 16 hours at 225, but at 275 your probably looking at 8 to 10 hours with little to no stall.
Al

Well, it’s a little after 2 pm now (so a little short of 9 hours on the smoker).
I wrapped in foil when temp was 165, and now internal temp is 201.
Will wait until it hits 205 and then pull off smoker.

Reactions: TomKnollRFV
It’s for a family dinner later tonight, if I can have them wait to take picture...I definitely will.

It’s for a family dinner later tonight, if I can have them wait to take picture...I definitely will.

When the butt comes out of the smoker with family around:
vultures.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky