First time smoker noob. Need advice.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cne7son

Original poster
Jan 6, 2017
California
I would like to smoke something tomorrow, but I have a few questions and need some help.
Here's what I have..

Masterbuilt Pro charcoal and propane dual fuel smoker.
I also have a webber iGrill 2 thermometer.

Looking for a cheap and easy smoke
On my smoker any advice with regards to vent position?
Also I'm not sure where to place or how to use my iGrill 2 meat probes. Do I use one for the meat and the smoker temp?

Any suggestions for a first time smoke and how to use my smoker would be much appreciated.
Thanks!
-cne7son

Not familiar with your set up but a pork butt is super forgiving and you will learn a lot about your smoker. The best advise I ever got about smoking is write everything you are doing down.

Reactions: cne7son
Many here suggest chicken pieces as a first smoke since they're quick and inexpensive. Use the Search here to look up your smoker and see how people use them.

Chicken is cheap and many smokers tend to run hot till they get some "build up" from use, to seal leaks.

I don't "low and slow" chicken but some folks do. You could try a combination of low and slow followed by high heat to try and crisp up the skin. I usually cook thighs only. I prefer them as far as eating goes and they are more forgiving than breast's as far as not drying up if overcooked. If it was me; I would probably grab a package of bone in skin on thighs, my digital thermometer, and have go at it.

Mostly the chicken is cheap and forgiving, to an extent, as you go through the introduction phase of your new smoker.

Once you learn how to control your smoke chamber temps between 225* and 275*, anything goes.

Best luck and let us know how things go.

Oddegan is correct in stating that the pork butt is forgiving just go into it knowing, (If your not familiar with prok butt), that for a novice smoker the butt can drive you crazy with the stall and I have settled on figuring on the possibility of a butt taking 2 hours per pound to get to pull-ability.

I am not familiar with your iGrill therm, but one probe shoul be for air temp and one for meat. If you go with chicken thighs, insert the meat probe in the thickest section of meat not too close to bone. If you try the butt, get as close to center of the thickest part of the cut.

I would do a Boston butt and keep your temp right around 275°. Just did a 7 lb. butt today for the first time at this temp and it was done in 8 hours.

Smoke until it hits around 165° and then place in a pan with 6 oz of apple juice. Cover it with 2 layers of foil and put back in until the IT = around 205°.

I should have mentioned the stall. If I wasn't bald already I would have pulled all my hair out. The stall just about drove me nuts the first time.

Yup; Even having read about the reality of, and the anxiety caused by the stall, it made me doubt my thermometers when I first encountered it.

I would do a Boston butt and keep your temp right around 275°. Just did a 7 lb. butt today for the first time at this temp and it was done in 8 hours.

Smoke until it hits around 165° and then place in a pan with 6 oz of apple juice. Cover it with 2 layers of foil and put back in until the IT = around 205°.

I should have mentioned, when stating the 2 hour per pound butt cook time, that I don't wrap a butt, (Makes a big difference in cook time, and quality of bark), and that I don't smoke a butt above 250*.

Those two parameters will lengthen smoke time a good bit.

I should have mentioned, when stating the 2 hour per pound butt cook time, that I don't wrap a butt, (Makes a big difference in cook time, and quality of bark)
I don't wrap either. I like a nice bark and I've never had a dry butt. The reality is you can read everything and get all kinds of advice but eventually you just have to put some meat to the heat.

I don't wrap either. I like a nice bark and I've never had a dry butt. The reality is you can read everything and get all kinds of advice but eventually you just have to put some meat to the heat.

Agreed. I read everything I could about brisket before trying one. Wound up confused as all get out. Too much info.

Best way to learn is read a little bit, pick up on repeated advice, and then just jump in and do it.

I going to suggest a meatloaf for the first smoke(that is if you like meatloaf). It's cheap, quick and easy to do. You can throw on a couple of potato's along with it and basically have your meal. If you want fat to help season you smoker just put a layer of thin bacon on top of the loaf. As far as vents. I would imagine that your smoker is similar to most verticals and the top should be wide open and control the heat with the bottom vent(s). Let us know how it goes and what you decide to cook.

Chirs

I would recommend shorter smokes until you get the hang of it. Smoking the bigger stuff (e.g. pork shoulder or brisket) takes a long time and it's helpful to know how your smoker is going to behave and really get comfortable running it before you go all in for a 10, 12, 14+ hour smoke.

The first couple of smokes I did were whole chickens. They are quite cheap and hard to screw up (believe me, I tried!). I went with this rub that I found on Epicurious which didn't disappoint, and is still the rub I use on chickens today:

3/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
1/2 cup kosher salt
1/2 cup ground espresso beans (I use whatever whole bean coffee we have in the house at that time)
2 tablespoons freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons garlic powder
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon cayenne pepper

Chicken quarters are easy and cheap. Smoke to an internal temp of 175 degrees. For these leg quarters I used this:

I wrapped about a heaping cup of chips in foil and poked some holes in it to keep them from catching fire and burning off too fast.

My smoker doesn't get very hot, about 250 degrees, so the skin doesn't get real crispy like grilled chicken.

You can always finish them in your gas grill if you have one to crisp up the skin. I like it either way with leg quarters. Just trim off the thick skin around the outside of the thigh if you don't want to fool with throwing them on a grill to finish them. In my experience leg skin is sort of thin anyway, so it doesn't get very "rubbery".

I hope I didn't post this too late to be of any help to you. It's still early out in California.

Haven't tried it yet. Still kinda lost when comes to smoking meat, but getting some awesome help from everyone here. Thank you all for responding. I was thinking about trying for some pulled chicken sandwiches or doing a tri tip. Guess I'll have to jump in and try it out.

Haven't tried it yet. Still kinda lost when comes to smoking meat, but getting some awesome help from everyone here. Thank you all for responding. I was thinking about trying for some pulled chicken sandwiches or doing a tri tip. Guess I'll have to jump in and try it out.

It can be intimidating to start but you'll get the hang of it; distill it down into manageable pieces. Pulled chicken definitely isn't a bad place to start. Take some time to put together a plan, write it down, then follow the plan. Do some research here for any points of the plan you're unsure about. Aside from food-safety (i.e. proper food storage/handling and cooking to an acceptable internal temperature within an acceptable time window) the decisions all come down to personal preference. The worst that'll happen on the personal preference decisions is you'll make some food that's not quite to your taste, so write down the results and refine it for next time.

Some things I can recommend to plan:
- Time. This is the most difficult thing to plan at first. Determine when you want to eat and work backwards from there. How long do you think it will take you to pull the birds once they're done? Will you let the birds rest after they're done before you pull them? These two will roughly tell you what time they need to be done - so how long do you think it will take to cook the birds once they're on (this will never be an exact science) - a rough calculation between bird size and cook temp. That'll tell you roughly what time they need to go on. Now you have your cook start time, so how long do you think it'll take you to prep the smoker to light and get up to your desired cook temp? And lastly, how long will it take you to prep the birds? Add all of these times up, then add yourself a healthy contingency so you don't have to rush. For your first smoke, it might be a good idea to plan some sides that are not time-sensitive and can be pulled right out of the fridge or pantry and served (e.g. potato chips, potato salad, regular salad) or held in the oven at serving temp in the event you run over time (e.g. mac and cheese).

- Bird prep. Are you going to rub the birds? Brine them? The possibilities are really endless here and 100% personal preference.

- Smoke wood. Same as above. You'll find a lot of recommendations here as to which smoke woods match which meats, but it's really up to you. Hard to go wrong, any wood you choose is going to add more flavor than you'll get with any other chicken.

- Monitoring. How are you going to know what the cook temps and internal temp of the bird(s) are? Sounds like you've got a thermometer with probes already, so you're on the right track there.

- Fuel. You've got the option of charcoal or propane - which are you going to use? Again, personal preference and no wrong answer.

- Beverage. What are you going to have to drink while you're smoking? A hugely important decision!

I'm sure that I've forgotten some points but this will definitely get you started. Remember that for 99% of us posting here this is a fun hobby and not a profession. Try not to stress too much and enjoy the ride. And don't forget to post pictures!

There are a lot of great suggestions posted here so I thought I would throw my 2cents in also. If you have a new smoker it probably should be seasoned before you attempt your first cook
Take a day and season it first (no meat)during the seasoning process you can play with it and learn how to control temps and play with your igrill to learn what works and what doesn't. I did this with my uds I built and my first cook on it came out great.
Good luck and looking forward to see how your first smoke went

Reactions: cne7son and SonnyE
Did you do a break in smoke yet?
Most new smokers need a run empty to break them in.
After that, bring a truckload of meats.
Because you are going to Love it!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky