First time smokehouse build

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Hecht989

Original poster
Nov 6, 2018
Hey, guys, I found this forum and fell in love! Seems like a great community with great advice and people.

So here are the details on my build. Proposed 5x5x4 house to mainly smoke venison summer sausage, Snack sticks, and jerky.

Maybe i am off here but what i wanted to do was A. use a Smoke daddy Mag PIG cold smoker with some type of heat source (I have no clue what to use for heat and can use help) or B. use pellet pro hopper assembly.

Guys if i am not even close on option A or B I am open to anything really. Thank you in advance for the feedback.

BigMike

For smoke, I would use the AMNTS tube smoker... for that size smokehouse, you may need 2....
https://www.amazenproducts.com/category_s/12.htm
For heat, I would go with propane... There is a very good burner at Northern Tool.... Hook it up using a needle valve between the regulator and burner... That way you can adjust the heat from the outside... Also, with this particular burner, you can adjust the basic heat output on the burner then fine tune from the needle valve...
FWIW..... Flame consumes smoke sooooooooo, have the smoke generator well above the flame....
330973_2000x2000.jpg

For smoke, I would use the AMNTS tube smoker... for that size smokehouse, you may need 2....
For heat, I would go with propane... There is a very good burner at Northern Tool.... Hook it up using a needle valve between the regulator and burner... That way you can adjust the heat from the outside... Also, with this particular burner, you can adjust the basic heat output on the burner then fine tune from the needle valve...
FWIW..... Flame consumes smoke sooooooooo, have the smoke generator well above the flame....
330973_2000x2000.jpg
Dave correct me if I am wrong but the heat is just that right? No wood to generate smoke? You just use the burner to keep a constant temp?

330973_2000x2000.jpg
Also why the tube smoker over the smoke daddy?

Smoke Daddy has a reputation of creosoting up... Gooey tar stuff... That's what I've seen... The AMNTS, like the other pellet smokers, burn fairly clean... from what I've seen.... I've been using the AMNPS for about 6 years.... I use mine in a mailbox modification... creosote sticks to the mailbox and the smoke in the smokehouse is clean...
Pictures are of a ham I did and bacon I have going right now in the smoker.....

HAM 005.JPG ..... bacon3 002.JPG

Mailbox mod hooked up.jpg .... AMNTS.JPG ... LEGS 4.jpg
The tube smoker needs a muffler clamp to elevate it from sitting on a flat surface and to keep it from rolling...

I have a burner similar to the one Davomak posted ( basically turkey fryer burner) in my 3.5 x3.5x 7' sausage smoker (4 rack). I just placed 1/4" steel sheet 16" x18" over burner grates, soak down hickory dust and just lay a line on plate. Works really well. Can hang 100# of ring sausage at once. Gets to be kind of a pain half way thru the smoke to go twist the tail on all that are hanging. Plenty high to hang summer sausage.

I have a burner similar to the one Davomak posted ( basically turkey fryer burner) in my 3.5 x3.5x 7' sausage smoker (4 rack). I just placed 1/4" steel sheet 16" x18" over burner grates, soak down hickory dust and just lay a line on plate. Works really well. Can hang 100# of ring sausage at once. Gets to be kind of a pain half way thru the smoke to go twist the tail on all that are hanging. Plenty high to hang summer sausage.
any pictures for refrence?

20181108_132429.jpg 20181108_132313.jpg
lined with 1/2" plywood, 4 sets of 2"x2" secured to wall. Metal sheeting around bottom . Don't have in right now, but turkey fryer burner under metal stand. Door is loose enough so no venting needed at bottom, have 2" holes drilled thru each side wall up at top back corners.

Make sure you have enough exhaust that when the burner is operating, the smokehouse will exhaust enough air that the smoker does NOT fill with smoke and deficient oxygen air ... the burner could flame out from lack of oxygen ... That's a deadly combination..

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky