First time Potato Sausage. Worked for the most part: "Asking for Help " Lots of pictures

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I'm liking this as well... On your next run with the casings you have left... try letting them soak overnight... even two nights if ya can... change the water when you think of them in the fridge soaking ... I find this lets them stretch more when stuffing.. resulting in a larger diameter, thinner casing ...

The link above for casing handling is top notch ...
Thanks Keith, on the package that I have it said to soak for 35 minutes , I let them soak for 1 1/2 hours. They were easy to go on my stuffing tube and to fill , but like everyone is hinting at they might be lower quality casings. But before steaming them I picked up and wiped them off , did not notice any holes, which now I see that , I should prick them some to let out the steam.
Thanks for the info

David

David , you may find some info in this thread that would be helpful .
Yours looks great , but never hurts to look .

As for the casings . Long soak . I store mine like in the link above . Haven't had a blow out or an issue since , and they are always ready . No waiting for soak time .

Reactions: DRKsmoking
David , you may find some info in this thread that would be helpful .
Yours looks great , but never hurts to look .

As for the casings . Long soak . I store mine like in the link above . Haven't had a blow out or an issue since , and they are always ready . No waiting for soak time .
Thanks chopsaw, that looks like a better way to do it than what i found. Thank you for the link, I just book marked it. Maybe I should tell tx smoker tx smoker to also look at this as he just asked for the recipe of what I made.
And he just simmers it in water for about 30 minutes. I will have to read the whole thing in a minute, but wanted to thank you for this. Because I would like to add some smoke to it also

David

Reactions: chopsaw
Thanks , this is kind of why I got into smoking as my wife love Kielbasa so I wanted to make it for her..... someday.

I asked above to someone , and I know they will get back to me but if the ones from Syracuse come on a tube already toi install on mine , do they not half to be soaked and rinsed?

David
I just put them in a tupperware container in water after rinsing the salt off and leave them in the fridge overnight and rinsing again before stuffing.
I never soak them stretched out.
You'll only need one tube for about 5# of sausage...

That sounds delicious! Even if you did have a blow out! Still tasted great!

Ryan
Thanks Ryan, they are good, just had a couple more for a quick snack with steamed rice and soya sauce

David

DSC_2758.JPG

They look great. When we use to make, we always ground our potatoes or just used hash browns. We usually just fry it so didn't do the steam thing. Haven't made for many years, may need to hit it again. Links are bookmarked.
Like. . .

You do know if I had them I'd be for putting them on a bun or bread and dousing them in gravy!

Ryan

They look great. When we use to make, we always ground our potatoes or just used hash browns. We usually just fry it so didn't do the steam thing. Haven't made for many years, may need to hit it again. Links are bookmarked.
Like. . .
Thanks Winterrider for the comment, they were good, and I am looking at a new process right now on how to adjust the way I did them

David

I make Swedish potato sausage usually once a year. chef jimmyj chef jimmyj has you pretty well covered here.

I have found that to avoid blowouts, you need quality casings and prick the casings as the sausages cook to release trapped air.

The mix looks good but I think you cut those potatoes too large in addition, you pressure cooked the sausages? That is too much heat, your casings will explode most of the time doing that.

I fine grind the meat and then use the medium grind plate for onions and potatoes. I then put the sausages in a hot water bath, barely simmering, for 20 minutes until the potatoes are cooked. Prick the sausages to release any air you may see.

Do not freeze without cooking, this will make the potatoes nasty.

Hope this helps in some way.

JC :emoji_cat:

I have found that to avoid blowouts, you need quality casings and prick the casings as the sausages cook to release trapped air.
The mix looks good but I think you cut those potatoes too large in addition, you pressure cooked the sausages? That is too much heat, your casings will explode most of the time doing that.
I fine grind the meat and then use the medium grind plate for onions and potatoes. I then put the sausages in a hot water bath, barely simmering, for 20 minutes until the potatoes are cooked. Prick the sausages to release any air you may see.
Do not freeze without cooking, this will make the potatoes nasty.
Hope this helps in some way.

Hi JC
Thanks for the comment and the like. No I did not pressure cook them, just steam, that is just a deep high pot, with the cover on it,

The large link split , but the smaller ones did not in the steamer ( done at separate times as the steamer only holds so much ) . I am wondering if the large one covered too much of the bottom and it was more like baking them, and too huch heat even though I turned the burner way down

I was following a recipe by a Chef that makes them this way all the time.

But I am with everyone else that I want the potatoes smaller

I like to follow some ones recipe their way first than change to a taste that I like , or just more different ways to do it.

I was just talking to him and he said that his grandmother used to prick them but he does not . S

So with all the help from the group here I will try again soon and see how it goes.

Thanks for your help

David

Reactions: JC in GB
Hi JC
Thanks for the comment and the like. No I did not pressure cook them, just steam, that is just a deep high pot, with the cover on it,

The large link split , but the smaller ones did not in the steamer ( done at separate times as the steamer only holds so much ) . I am wondering if the large one covered too much of the bottom and it was more like baking them, and too huch heat even though I turned the burner way down

I was following a recipe by a Chef that makes them this way all the time.

But I am with everyone else that I want the potatoes smaller

I like to follow some ones recipe their way first than change to a taste that I like , or just more different ways to do it.

I was just talking to him and he said that his grandmother used to prick them but he does not . S

So with all the help from the group here I will try again soon and see how it goes.

Thanks for your help

David

:emoji_cat:
If you would like my recipe, I will gladly provide it. It is very simple but so tasty....

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky