First time Potato Sausage. Worked for the most part: "Asking for Help " Lots of pictures

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
It is always good to understuff the casings if you are going to twist into links. You can always just twist more to plump the sausages and tighten them up.
Thanks indaswamp, that's good info about under stuffing or twisting to make them tighter. The links I made did not break just the long one , but yes it could have been too tight.
I followed the recipe that said to use raw potato, as it will cook in the steam, but I was thinking to maybe grate the potato next time so no shart corners and to help blend better

Thank you for the help

David

Pricking the sausage in several places releases air.
can not recommend Syracuse Casing enough
Thanks JJ for the like and the comment, smokerjim smokerjim also mentioned about pricking my sausage....that just sounded weird. lol
and I will look into the Syracuse casings. The bag of casing I bought were salted and they were all approx same length in a plastic ring at about the center of the length.

If the Syracuse ones come already on a tube , do they not have to be soaked and rinced?

Thanks for the help

David

I'm suspecting the casings and the uncooked potatoes or a combination of both.
They look nice and tasty fried up!
Thanks smokeymose for the like and the comment

They were tasty and I will do again , just with different fillings. That's what I thought about the potatoes also but the recipe called for it that way , said to cut them 3/8" thick and raw. The way his grandmother said and stuff by hand . Because if using a grinder stuffer it adds too much water to the mix. It does make sense that the size of the potato would add some air pockets to the mix

David

In his recipe for Swedish Potato Sausage Rytec recommends grinding the meat and taters then mixing all the spices and other ingredients, and grinding it a second time thru a 3/8" plate. Also says to use 35-38mm hog casings. Bigger casing, less air in it, just might work. RAY
Thanks Ray for the comment, sounds like that would make it more of a smoother blend. I have a larger plate that I am going to use to make Kielbasa, when I get enough nerve to try it.But I have lots to learn before that

Thanks

David

David, those look really, really good. I'd be all over making a batch of those. Gonna copy and paste this recipe. No work tomorrow and have been wondering what I was gonna do. I think I know now :emoji_wink:

Robert
Hi Robert thanks for the like and the comment. They were good , and having the rest for supper tonight. Will be making again once I get a handle on the blow out. Getting good info now
If you want I can post on here the original recipe as a picture if you want.

David

I would par boil the potatoes then fully cool them.
Also if the water in the steamer was full boil, the temperature was over 200* that’s to hot. Steam was created inside the casing and the pressure built until it split the casing. Much the same as if you grill them over high heat for to long, they split. Lower the temp and try that. You only need 155* IT.
Otherwise those look incredible! I’m hungry now.
Thanks Smoken for the like and the comment, I think I mentioned in my post if maybe they got too hot or if my steamer was closed. Liked they almost baked The long single link almost completly covered the bottom and all the bottom holes. As the second cook/steam of the smaller links did not break. More room for the stem to come up instead of mostly under the sausages

David

I make potato sausage all the time. I never steam mine. Just cook them on the grill. Stores sell diced potatoes in a can that are just a perfect size. That's what i use. Maybe your potatoes are too large. Hash looks great.
Thanks R Blum for the comment, what size sausage do you make , and do they not crack on the grill , or do you cook on low temp. The potatoes I cut to 3/8 cubes , thats not too big , but thought I might grate them next time.

Thanks

David

When you said you had a blowout, David, you weren't just kidding. However, the hash you cooked up looked real good.
Other than that, I'm not a sausage maker, so afraid I can't help you.
Gary
Thanks Gary for the like and the comment,
yes it was very disheartening at the 35 minute mark to see it start to split, as before that what I thought I would have a problem with went real smooth. At least I could still eat it .

David

You can cut a series of holes/slits in the casing, this will allow steam from inside out. But I think if you par boil the potatoes and then only cook to 155* IT You will have much better results. Keep after it.

Reactions: DRKsmoking
You can cut a series of holes/slits in the casing, this will allow steam from inside out. But I think if you par boil the potatoes and then only cook to 155* IT You will have much better results. Keep after it.

Thanks Smoken, for the tips
I think I will try again with the casings I have ,hopefully this week, as it is fun process. Until the blowout, lol
At least until I can try and get the ones from Syracuse casings

David

Reactions: SmokinEdge
Thanks Smoken, for the tips
I think I will try again with the casings I have ,hopefully this week, as it is fun process. Until the blowout, lol
At least until I can try and get the ones from Syracuse casings

David
Here is a tutorial on casing prep and how to handle them. This link is especially true of the small “home packed” casings, but really is how the casings should be prepared and stored overall. This will give you much success in the future. Enjoy.

https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/how-to-handle-natural-casings.159729/

If you want I can post on here the original recipe as a picture if you want.

If you wouldn't mind I'd really appreciate it. When I saw the stuff in red text reading your post I thought they were links to the recipe. obviously I was mistaken :emoji_astonished: I have grand visions of making a batch of this as soon as I possibly can. It really has me intrigued to say the least.

Robert

Thanks Ray for the comment, sounds like that would make it more of a smoother blend. I have a larger plate that I am going to use to make Kielbasa, when I get enough nerve to try it.But I have lots to learn before that

Thanks

David
Kielbasa is a walk in the park compared to what you just made.
Get some good casings and go for it!
If you can get them shipped I also highly recommend the pre-tubed from Syracuse Casing.

I'm liking this as well... On your next run with the casings you have left... try letting them soak overnight... even two nights if ya can... change the water when you think of them in the fridge soaking ... I find this lets them stretch more when stuffing.. resulting in a larger diameter, thinner casing ...

The link above for casing handling is top notch ...

If you wouldn't mind I'd really appreciate it. When I saw the stuff in red text reading your post I thought they were links to the recipe. obviously I was mistaken :emoji_astonished: I have grand visions of making a batch of this as soon as I possibly can. It really has me intrigued to say the least.

Robert
Hi Robert here is a link to the web page Homemade Potato Sausage - Taste of Artisan . I hope it works and we are allowed to link other web pages. And if not I am also adding picture of the recipe here for you
It is from Victor Vitaly his site is "Taste of Artisan "

DSC_2759 (2).JPG

Hope it works for you Robert. Let me know how it turns out for you. On the site he explains it a lot more about the process.

David

Kielbasa is a walk in the park compared to what you just made.
Get some good casings and go for it!
If you can get them shipped I also highly recommend the pre-tubed from Syracuse Casing.
Thanks , this is kind of why I got into smoking as my wife love Kielbasa so I wanted to make it for her..... someday.

I asked above to someone , and I know they will get back to me but if the ones from Syracuse come on a tube already toi install on mine , do they not half to be soaked and rinsed?

David

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky