1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

First time making our own bacon

Discussion in 'Bacon Makers Group' started by ab canuck, Jun 17, 2018.

1. ab canuck

ab canuck Master of the Pit ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Well it's been a trying May and June so far.... I work away from home, and last yr was a crazy one, Finally home 3rd week of March the wife and I went on a much needed holiday. When we got home it was time to tackle everything that was neglected through the course of last fall and winter, as well as things that I do at home. We had 1 of our bradleys die on us, my lap top had the blue screen of death, brought it in to get repaired and it was toast, finally I am back up and running again. We finally got to build our smokehouse to the point that we could do our bacon.
    We did 2 kinds using a dry brine and digging dog calculator that Dave Omak shared, and a batch in a wet brine that Pops shared and a back bacon ( Canadian bacon for our southern friends). We did use maple sugar in place of some of the reg white sugar.
    We brined our bacon / bellies from our pigs we butchered last fall. we left all in brines for 12 days, I did not soak them just a quick rinse, I wanted to see how they would turn out as we have another 50-60 lbs to do yet, we did soak the back bacon for 3 hrs which we did fry test on. Let me know what you think and or pointers, We loved the back ( Canadian ) bacon it turned out amazing, Our bacon turned out good as well, although now I know that I should rinse and soak some. I found it salty but still good. Thx for looking.

Attached Files:

2. 73saint

73saint Smoking Fanatic SMF Premier Member

Looks great. I’ve got so much bacon curing in my fridge it’s hard to keep up!!

3. rexster314

rexster314 Smoking Fanatic

Cut back .5% or 1% of the salt in the calculator and you won't have to soak. It'll still take the cure just fine. I do about 160 pounds every month and cut out the soak when I cut back on the salt

4. SmokinAl

SmokinAl Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

All of your bacon looks delicious!
    I guess it's a matter of taste, some think it's too salty without the soak & others don't.
    Al