First time dry ageing!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

csharo

Original poster
Nov 3, 2019
Hi all! My name is Charlie, reaching out for help from down under, Australia.

I am trying to dry age for my first time, i bought the DryAgingBags and a vacuum sealer but for some reason the vacuum doesn't suck 100% of the air out of the bag, there's still gaps. after trying multiple times and failing, i have left it sealed to about 75%, most of the bag is stuck to the meat.

i have put it in the fridge and can see a more red tinge to the meat the 2nd day.

is this ok? am i doing wrong by there being air left in the bag?

Will post follow up pictures.

thank you in advance to all!

I just put a small amount of coarse salt on the steaks (both sides) and lay them out on a wire cookie rack, on a plate, in the fridge for 24 hours, or overnight. I've done this several times with much success.

I just put a small amount of coarse salt on the steaks (both sides) and lay them out on a wire cookie rack, on a plate, in the fridge for 24 hours, or overnight. I've done this several times with much success.
I think he is referring to an actual dry aging process. Typically 30 days or longer.

Did you use that piece of material that comes with the bags? You put it at the top of the bag right on the seal line. This allows the sealer to pull all the air out.
Al

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky