First Sourdough Loaf for slicing/sandwiches

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sandyut

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Feb 18, 2015
Colorado
This was my first SD bread loaf that was not a Boule. Honestly, it was much easier - or I have maded enough Boule's that this seems easier. either way here is the end product and some verbals on the process:
basic recipe:
  • 100g Starter
  • 350g water
  • 500g flour
  • 10g salt
  • Mix water, starter, and salt. Add flour.
  • Autolyse at room temp about 1 hour
  • Lift and fold
  • 20-25 the first time
  • 2-4 more lift and fold sessions 30-60 minutes apart
  • Bulk fermentation at room temp
  • @68 degrees this is overnight and into next day @24 hours
  • removed from bowl and folded "sides" to make a squarish loaf and stretched into a 10x5 buttered loaf pan.
  • leave a RT till it rises to the top of the pan @5 hours.
  • Bake 425 for 20 then drop to 375 for 25 more.
  • cool and hour and dig in! I also rubbed butter on the top while it was hot
IMG_6884.jpg
IMG_6886.jpg

Wow Dave, that looks really good buddy. Nice job on that. I'd happily pay $10 a loaf if I could fine bread like that in s local store. Keep up the great work!!

Robert

thanks guys! could never have done with without your supper and Dans starter! I have continued to pay it forward by sharing the starter with family and friends.

Reactions: BrianGSDTexoma
Looks awesome! I'll heat up a bowl of soup to dunk it in!

Ryan

This is interesting. So if when the starter doubles in size it’s ready to use, does this make a mild flavor sourdough? More like regular bread, kinda? Then if the starter is fed and cut for longer, does this give the traditional sourish taste to the bread?

Nice bread loaf. I'm ready to slap some apple butter on it.

What kind of loaf pan are you using. I'm going to get one.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky