First Snow---Big one on the way!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Bearcarver

Gone but not forgotten RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
Group Lead
Sep 12, 2009
Macungie, PA
First Snow---Big One on the Way!!

OK, this was just a coating we got on Dec 10---Less than an inch, but it's the Ice breaker, opening up the flood gates for more to come soon.
I'd be happy if they were all like this, but now they're saying we're supposed to get 8" to 12" on Wednesday.
I used to love Snow when I was a kid---Playing in it, and building Forts, Tunnels & Igloos, then in my Young Adult days I loved to Drive in it, and we used to drive around and help people get "Unstuck". Now it's a PITA----Pretty, but dangerous at times, and too much work getting rid of it, or moving it out of the way.

Bear

IMG_6395.jpeg

I heard that Bear. Same for me. It was great when young. Cool when a young driver. Then not so nice when older. Now when we have the rare snow in Ga, 1-2 times a year, some years nothing, it's nice to look at, but that's it. The first year we lived here, we had an 18" snow storm, I was still early 30's so I drove the hell out of it, even got a flat tire and still drove it! The next day it was 70' and it melted as fast as it came, lol. Haven't had near that much snow since, almost 30 years.

Cooled down yesterday , but 2 days of 65 before that . You never know around here any more . I'm happy to just look out the window .

Just a dusting last nite in ND. Amazing weather that we have had here recently. Nice for the pheasant hunting. Sure will shorten winter not having to mess with the snow as of yet.
Good luck along the NE corridor, stay safe !

Geez Bear, that stuff's just too darned cold for me, hate it! It'll be a high of 62º and sunny here all week, and that's still to nippy for us. RAY

Cooled down yesterday , but 2 days of 65 before that . You never know around here any more . I'm happy to just look out the window .
Rich comeon now u know the saying stick around 5 minutes the weather will change
LOL

Reactions: chopsaw
Its snowing now here in Northern Arkansas. Same storm that’s heading your way Bear!
My kids love the snow, and I don’t mind it either! Can’t wait for a snowball fight!

Its snowing now here in Northern Arkansas. Same storm that’s heading your way Bear!
My kids love the snow, and I don’t mind it either! Can’t wait for a snowball fight!

Yup!!
LOL---I had to look at your age----"You don't mind snow"----You're 44 !!!
Thanks for the Like.

Bear

Reactions: yankee2bbq
I heard that Bear. Same for me. It was great when young. Cool when a young driver. Then not so nice when older. Now when we have the rare snow in Ga, 1-2 times a year, some years nothing, it's nice to look at, but that's it. The first year we lived here, we had an 18" snow storm, I was still early 30's so I drove the hell out of it, even got a flat tire and still drove it! The next day it was 70' and it melted as fast as it came, lol. Haven't had near that much snow since, almost 30 years.

LOL---I know it can get cold in GA. I spent the Winter there in 1968 "Ft Gordon", and got the worst Cold of Flu, or whatever of my life there. No Barracks for us when we got there, so we spent the first night in group tents, without blankets, and the Permanent party guy in charge of fueling the potbellied stoves was a Lazy piece of #$%^&*(.
I slept in 3 sets of fatigues, and inside my Mattress cover, which is just a bag over your mattress. Boy did I get sick!!! Got rid of it just in time to fly to the other side of the planet. No snow in Ft Gordon, but the water puddles were all solid ice!!

Bear

So you got the "Scenic" tour, lol. Ouch that sounds like a nightmare. We get a lot of "Black Ice" on the roads. They just look wet, but it's just enough ice to make it hazardous. I prefer snow than ice, because at least you know what you're driving into, and have a fighting chance. They've called off schools here due to ice.

yippie skippy thanks bear definatley not looking forward to this i live in the skook 25 mi north of you used to like it as a kid now 59 definaley a pita now!

Stay warm bear. Like you I have been "fortunate" to spend a little time at ft gordon. Went to basic at ft benning though and that was a real "treat" lol

Looks pretty. Never had to deal with it. Sure seems like a bowl of chili and a hot dog would warm the sole.

Reactions: willy appleseed
Thankfully I'm below the snowline, but 20 mins away they get a snow every so often. An hour away can get clobbered with feet upon feet of snow. Ski resorts are less than two hours away once the roads are cleared. That's close enough for me.

I used to have to drive over the hill to a Reno office (2.5 hours) a couple times a month to work. I don't miss that drive in the snow.

They are saying 3-6 here.

They changed ours from 8" to 12" on Wednesday to 12" to 18" on Wednesday!!!
Should be interesting & a PITA !!
Snowing Hard now, but should be less than an inch.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky