First Smoked Bologna...SUCCESS!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SherryT

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Dec 23, 2017
Crawford AL
Been looking through the smoked bologna posts and, even though I've never tasted smoked store-bought bologna before, I decided to give it a go...

• Kelly's Garlic Bologna (good to begin with!)
  • Mustard coating
  • Badia Holy Smokes Rub (VERY cheap, but not bad for a basic rub, IMO)
  • Smoked at avg 235 for a little over 3 hours (6" tube with 50/50 hickory/apple dust)
  • Glazed with SBR's Honey BBQ sauce with a glug of maple syrup to thin it down a bit (about 1/4 cup sauce and 2 TBSP syrup)
  • Raised temp to 260 and let it go until the glaze tacked up (about 45 mins, IT was 150 at the end)

Smoked-Bologna.jpg

(if you're wondering why it's cut in half, I was originally gonna use two different glazes, but realized I was out of an ingredient, sooo...)

The verdict...IT'S SOOOO GOOOOD!!!

The only thing I'd change (at the moment) is the SBR's sauce...not a huge fan, but it's what I had available due to a BOGO sale a while back (thankfully, it's the last bottle!).

I also messed up the scoring (wasn't wearing my glasses), but that's no big deal.

I'll DEFINITELY by doing more of these!

That sure looks and sounds great Sherry!
Never seen the garlic bologna and that sounds interesting!
Love some smoked bologna and it's been too long for me.

Keith

Reactions: SherryT
Looks fantastic Sherry. If you need a change of pace. Cut about a 1/2 inch slice and punch a hole in the middle of the slice using a mason jar. Then fill the hole with an egg and pan fry until the egg is done. Sunny side up is most excellent. Add cheese and melt.

1670887296340.png

1670887359395.png

Nice idea!!
My dad would make this for us on a few Sundays during the course of the year. It was soooooo gooood. I always looked forward to that special Sunday.

Chris

Been looking through the smoked bologna posts and, even though I've never tasted smoked store-bought bologna before, I decided to give it a go...

• Kelly's Garlic Bologna (good to begin with!)
  • Mustard coating
  • Badia Holy Smokes Rub (VERY cheap, but not bad for a basic rub, IMO)
  • Smoked at avg 235 for a little over 3 hours (6" tube with 50/50 hickory/apple dust)
  • Glazed with SBR's Honey BBQ sauce with a glug of maple syrup to thin it down a bit (about 1/4 cup sauce and 2 TBSP syrup)
  • Raised temp to 260 and let it go until the glaze tacked up (about 45 mins, IT was 150 at the end)

View attachment 651029

(if you're wondering why it's cut in half, I was originally gonna use two different glazes, but realized I was out of an ingredient, sooo...)

The verdict...IT'S SOOOO GOOOOD!!!

The only thing I'd change (at the moment) is the SBR's sauce...not a huge fan, but it's what I had available due to a BOGO sale a while back (thankfully, it's the last bottle!).

I also messed up the scoring (wasn't wearing my glasses), but that's no big deal.

I'll DEFINITELY by doing more of these!
Heck yeah! Great job!
Looks fantastic Sherry. If you need a change of pace. Cut about a 1/2 inch slice and punch a hole in the middle of the slice using a mason jar. Then fill the hole with an egg and pan fry until the egg is done. Sunny side up is most excellent. Add cheese and melt.

View attachment 651036

View attachment 651037
Wow! Thank you for this idea too!

We love store bought , then smoked bologna, and yours sure looks excellent! Nice job!
Also gmc2003 gmc2003 , Chris. The egg in the hole in bologna is something I will try today. I eat them in the morning in bread, but never thought to try bologna.
Al

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky