First smoke

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Spartan165

Fire Starter
Original poster
Nov 21, 2019
So tomorrow I am going to be doing my first smoke on my Oklahoma joe highland. I am going to be doing southwest chipotle chicken thighs for salad and pulled chicken sandwiches. I am looking forward to some sandwich tomorrow night!
20191228_231542.jpg

They already look delicious. Good luck with your maiden voyage. How did it run when you did your burn in seasoning? Any temp issues? I remember it took a bit of experimentation to figure out the vents on my Highland when I first got it.

G

Reactions: Spartan165
They already look delicious. Good luck with your maiden voyage. How did it run when you did your burn in seasoning? Any temp issues? I remember it took a bit of experimentation to figure out the vents on my Highland when I first got it.

G
Yeah the first time I ran it it was all over the place temp wise lol. I do believe I have figured that out now however as least some what.

Ok so the smoke was a success! Gonna be making some chicken salad wit it when the wife gets home tonight.
20191229_152058_001.jpg
20191229_124339.jpg

Nice piece of work Spartan, you are on your way! How was your heat control? I've had a stick burner for about a half a year and turned out some pretty decent stuff. The last few days I started reading Aaron Franklin's book and learned more than I ever dreamed possible in such a short period. It's the pic on the right, check it out if you might be interested in shortening the learning curve of your new offset. RAY
DSCN1397.JPG

Nice piece of work Spartan, you are on your way! How was your heat control? I've had a stick burner for about a half a year and turned out some pretty decent stuff. The last few days I started reading Aaron Franklin's book and learned more than I ever dreamed possible in such a short period. It's the pic on the right, check it out if you might be interested in shortening the learning curve of your new offset. RAYView attachment 425915
Heat control was good I am finally starting to get a handle on that. I have thought about picking that book up when I got my smoker now I think I might.

It's well worth having, seems to be aimed strictly at stick burners. I never knew guys smoked with the firebox door open, was always fiddling with the vents. Did a prime yesterday and never touched the vents or stack cover, never opened the cook chamber. Was within +/_ five degrees of 250º the whole time with perfect smoke, learned a lot about how to handle my SQ36. RAY

It's well worth having, seems to be aimed strictly at stick burners. I never knew guys smoked with the firebox door open, was always fiddling with the vents. Did a prime yesterday and never touched the vents or stack cover, never opened the cook chamber. Was within +/_ five degrees of 250º the whole time with perfect smoke, learned a lot about how to handle my SQ36. RAY
Yeah I run mine with the door open or it doesn't get enough airflow. I have a 3 bone prime rib I plan on doing for my buddies superbowl party. How did yours turn out?

Came out perfect, here's the thread I posted. RAY

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky