First smoke with my MES 40''

Discussion in 'Electric Smokers' started by dirtybird570, Feb 15, 2010.

1. dirtybird570

dirtybird570 Newbie

I seasoned the smoker for three hours and added chips 45 min. before time ran out. It was 36 deg.F outside with a North wind gusting to 15 mph. It took less than 30 min. to reach 275 deg.F and stayed between 273 and 276 deg.F for the entire time.

For my first smoke on an electric smoker, I went the cheap way and smoked chicken quarters.... Skinned them and brined them overnight in salt, pepper and minced onions.

Front left, I used Juilos Seasoning, Tones Cayenne and Black pepper. Back left, Tones Steak Dust and Black pepper... Right, I used Stubbs Dry Rub and Black pepper.... I just dusted them with enough to cover the meat.

3 hours at 250 deg.F ...

Finished product....

Tasted great .... so far so good, didn't really enjoy scrubbing the racks, water pan and drip pan .... [​IMG]

2. ryanhoelzer

ryanhoelzer Smoking Fanatic

Looks great.

I soak my racks and pan for a couple hours or so and they clean up a whole lot easier.

3. ronp

ronp Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Wrap your drip pan and water pan in foil.

Your qview looks great.

4. I clean my racks in the dishwasher on the Tough Scrub (Pots and Pans) settings. Get them real clean.

5. deltadude

deltadude Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Great first cook... on your MES...

To make cleanup easier...

spray racks with PAM

Water & Drip pan cover with foil.

Buy some Brillo pads, to scrub off the tough stuff. Then throw them all in the dishwasher.

Enjoy your new MES....

6. beer-b-q

beer-b-q Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Looks Great... [​IMG]

7. insight

insight Meat Mopper

Hey Dirtybird, looks great! I came here a virgin [​IMG] and you must take the great advice of the guys up there.

[​IMG]