First Smoke in the Smokin-It Model 1

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

louballs

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jan 8, 2013
Harrisburg, PA
Well last friday was my first smoke using this smoker. I used a 7.5 pound bone-in pork shoulder with the majority of the fat trimmed away. It turned out great!  Below are my times/temps:
Meat7.5 lb. pork shoulder
RubJeff's Rub, on meat for 22 hours
Wood Used1 1/8 oz. cherry chunks
Starting Time4:15 AM
Starting Outdoor Temp34 degrees
Smoker Temp Setting225 degrees
Starting Meat Temp40 degrees
 7:30 AM - 135 degrees
 8:15 AM - 142 degrees, wrapped in foil placed back in smoker
 11:45 AM - 177 degrees
 1:45 PM - 191 degrees
 3:20 PM - 198 degrees

3:45 PM - 199 degrees - pulled wrapped in towels, placed in cooler
The meat had a great smokey flavor. There was no burnt or creosote taste at all, so I think others that have had a problem with this smoker type should really consider using LESS wood before drilling holes. I used 1 1/8 oz. of cherry and that was definitely enough. My only complaint, and maybe someone can provide some feedback, is that I really didn't get a nice bark on it and the "crust" seemed a little bland. I know the rub i used had great flavor, so I'm thinking that because the temp outside was so cold there was extra condensation inside and this may have "washed" off some of the rub during the process? There was some burnt "candy" like substance on the bottom of the smoker which I am thinking is the rub. Any thoughts on this? Other than that it was great! Here are some photos:

Rub applied and ready to sit!

wrapped in 2 layers of foil and three towels, then in cooler. Was still hot after 6.5 hours

Just out of the smoker!

Pulled and ready to eat with some Zappo's Voodoo chips!

Thx for the update for those following the Smokin-It units. I believe the consenus is not much bark is obtained with electric smokers. Glad you had a good first experience....Willie

Looks good.  I am of the opinion that bark is a result of a combination of heat and the rub used.  If the rub contains some form of sugar, caramelization contributes.  I get bark; maybe more than some, less than others. 

That butt looks good. I think the main reason for a lack of 'bark'  is from the foiling. When you trap the moisture inside the foil, it will soften the outside. However, it helps to keep the meat moist and get through the stall faster. So, for a better bark, don't use the foil, but it might take longer to get to the finished temp. Keep smokin and see what you like best!

Mike

Looking good.
Also use a drip pan if possible to catch all that CANDY and reincorporate it back into the pork.

Nice Job Rookie! Looking at the meat just out of the smoker, it is Very Pale. You will get a more flavorful Bark if you delay foiling until the IT is 170*F or as others point out skip it. Don't be afraid to add more Rub just before going in to smoke. You learned the Biggest lesson about the style smoker, be conservative with the wood. The temptation is to fill the box but it is just too much too fast and in the high humidity of that smoker, you could seal your driveway with the amount of Creosote you will generate...JJ

Thanks, some good info! I went off of Jeff's recipe on his site, so im sure it was geared towards non-electric smoker. I'll delay it a bit next time.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky