First smoke, first ribs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bordy

Original poster
Apr 29, 2012
So, I used my smoker for the first time a couple weeks ago (a MasterForge Charcoal cheapie). I did the recommended 2-hour burn-in, during which time the smoker reached pretty high temps (300-ish, if one can believe the built-in thermometer), but I didn't have any water in it at the time, so that's to be expected.

During the time I was cooking my ribs though (babybacks, so was going for 2-2-1) I struggled at times to keep my heat up. I think I am a bit gunshy over adding too much coal, so it ended up lingering at 212-220 for the most part, and I let it cook a bit longer, ended up around 7 hours in the heat.

That said, they came out great. It was pretty neat getting that smoke flavor knowing I put it there, they were tender (glad I remembered the membrane in the first place), and my wife dug em, so that's nice.

What I would like to know though, is does anyone have any tips on maintaining temp in a smoker such as that? I don't have any adjustable vents to work with, just the one open vent in the bottom. I'd really like to try a brisket, but knowing the length of time I'd need for that, I want a better plan in place. I also plan to try sand in the pan instead of water, jst to try to regulate a little better without having to open the door as often to check/replace water.

Sorry for the disjointed rambling, it's 1:15 am. lol.

Briskets take a long time.  Without temp control your gonna be at a disadvantage by babysitting and chasing temps.  I recommend a few shorter cooks to learn your smoker and get your temps stable for a long cook like that. 

That's a solid plan, I had just wanted to attack the hardest meats first, to make the rest that much easier lol.

I would also suggest getting a charcoal chimney for a smoker like that.  Makes it a little easier to control the temperature because it removes the flare ups of heat from adding new fuel.  I started out using something similar and it took some getting used to when using it.  Don't be afraid to add to much fuel, because if you use a charcoal chimney you can pull some back out.

I started with a Master Forge bullet just like yours. Go to Google and search El Cheapo Brinkman Modifications for some great ideas.

Like the Brinkman, the MF Bullet is loaded with problems and disadvantages : It leaks air nearly everywhere.  It cannot be effectively regulated to low temps.

It has advantages:It is cheap. It can be effectively modified. It is better than the ECB. 

I added an adjustable vent on top.  It can be simple and also effective. I added stove door sealing rope (fiberglass) between the top and main body.  I added a vent to regulate the air coming into the bottom of the charcoal pan. I added a grate to keep the charcoal off of the bottom of the pan.  I added gasket sealing silicone (red) around the door to block off as much air leakage as possible.

Get another cheap digital thermometer and hang it through the vent on top to give yourself an accurate smoking chamber temperature.  The digital thermometer is essential to regulate the smoking chamber temp using your two closeable vents.  I find that the vent on top is much more critical to regulate temps than the one on the bottom of the charcoal pan.

Mine works like a dream now.  Yeah, yeah, it isn't in the class of my Char-Griller Akorn, but it is a great smoker if you don't mind adding charcoal every 4 hours.

Sunny

I was a bit shy on the charcoal at first too. Now I just put a whole 8 lb bag of kingsford in with the vents wide open from the getgo and leave it alone. I am smoking right now and my temps have been a consistent 220 the whole time.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky