First Salmon Cold Smoke

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Here is the rest of the Q-View of my first smoked Salmon.

Desalination cold water bath, for about 1 1/2 hours.

Took out of bath, and dried and then set on cooling rack uncovered in the fridge for 24 hours.

Put in cold smoker with 2-rows of Cherry Dust in my AMNS.

Smoker temp @ 64.

Three Hours into the smoking process and still have a good amount left in the first row of the AMNS,

I tried a sample of the Salmon @ 4 1/2 hours into smoke and I let to go the other half hour for a total smoke time of 5 hours.

Smoker temp never got over 64*F and within the first hour is actually went as low as 57* F.

Took these photos before I sliced a couple pieces before cling wraped the remaing Salmon and put in fridge for over night cool then tomorrow I will slice!!!

Big Lew BBQ

That looks really good! 

I've always pressed the salmon while curing it, to try and extract a bit more moisture.  Never been sure if it helps, or if the salt is enough to pull the moisture out.  Just wondering how you found the moisture content at the end?

nice post.  I picked up a box of salmon from Restaurant Depot and we have about 50 fillets so I was thinking about cold smoking some.  I won a AMAZE N tube smoker from Gary a few weeks ago and have yet to use.  I have some salmon thawing now and will do a dry brine.  How long should I leave them in the brine and what does the Desalination cold water bath do to the texture?  I've never cold smoked before so not sure if the Desalination is required or if I could just rinse the fish???

I'll be sure to take pics and create a post once done. 

LGHT,

I have done both methods, just a rinse, and the desalination for an hour or hour and half. Some of it depends on how salty you like your fish. Enjoy that tube smoker.  I just put my new 18" Tube through its paces over the holiday weekend. Let me tell you, it produces some great TBS!!! I hope to find some decently priced wild salmon soon so I can cold smoke some up to add to my holiday gift crates.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky