First Pork Butt!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

isellstuff

Original poster
Nov 4, 2019
Maybe not the right place but I decided to do a Pork Butt yesterday, was just shy of 7lbs. Cooked it on my new Pit Boss 820Fb, ended up cooking for about 11 hours and had to pull it at 193 degrees due to work earlier than anticipated Monday morning. Thoughts on what you see in pictures? I tried some of the bark last night and it was good!

IMG_4956.jpg
IMG_4963.jpg

Butt looks good from here nice bark! I've never pulled one that low did it shred pretty easily? What did you rub it with? Did you wrap it or use an injection?

Looks good from here! Im with SmokinVOLfan SmokinVOLfan and pretty curious of how well it pulled apart for you. Ive never pulled one that low myself.

Butt looks good from here nice bark! I've never pulled one that low did it shred pretty easily? What did you rub it with? Did you wrap it or use an injection?

No wrap or injection. I made a very basic rub of
  • 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
  • 1 Tablespoon coarse sea salt
  • 2 teaspoons cracked black pepper
  • 2 teaspoons smoked paprika (hot or mild, whichever you prefer)
  • 2 teaspoons garlic powder
  • 2 teaspoons onion powder
  • 1 teaspoon ground mustard
  • 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper

• a lot of it did shred by hand but 5-10 more degrees and I imagine it would melt apart but I just ran out of time.

What was your pit temp? In the past I have cranked the heat up when running out of time with no ill effect.

What was your pit temp? In the past I have cranked the heat up when running out of time with no ill effect.
I tried to keep it around 225 for the first 7 hours or so but ended up cranking up to about 275-300 for the past hour or so to break the Perceived second stall.

Look nice and there is no need to go fancy how ever like you said you pulled it off earlier than you would have liked to. If it tasted good. No harm no foul. Good on you for not covering in foil or paper.

Look nice and there is no need to go fancy how ever like you said you pulled it off earlier than you would have liked to. If it tasted good. No harm no foul. Good on you for not covering in foil or paper.
Thanks after finding this forum and making this pork and a few instances of jerky I want to make something every night now.

looks good, and what everyone else said about the temp.

when i see i am running out of time - its wrapping time. even if only for the last couple hours. usually kicks it to the end zone.

Nice work!

Next time, call in sick and finish the cook. :emoji_wink:

Seriously though, you could always finish it off in the oven at a higher temp when you are pressed for time. Butts can handle high temps just fine.

Anyhow, the PB looks darn fine from here.

that gave me a thought...what temp did you cook at? on a pellet you can crank it up to shorten the time. my last butts I did at 180 (extreme smoke) for 3 hours and then 275 till done.

that gave me a thought...what temp did you cook at? on a pellet you can crank it up to shorten the time. my last butts I did at 180 (extreme smoke) for 3 hours and then 275 till done.
I started at 200 for roughly 2-3 hours then bumped it to 225-250 but next time I will bump it higher.

Next time, call in sick and finish the cook. :emoji_wink:

Seriously though, you could always finish it off in the oven at a higher temp when you are pressed for time. Butts can handle high temps just fine.

Anyhow, the PB looks darn fine from here.

HAHA, had a new employee starting that morning. The oven will be on my mind now that I could finish it that way, thanks for the info!

Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
Butt looks really good!!! Using the oven to finish is not a problem. I've done it on many occasions where I didn't have enough time with a hard stop for dinner. Usually smoke for 5 hours then into a 300º oven tightly wrapped in foil setting in a pan (just in case).

Butt looks really good!!! Using the oven to finish is not a problem. I've done it on many occasions where I didn't have enough time with a hard stop for dinner. Usually smoke for 5 hours then into a 300º oven tightly wrapped in foil setting in a pan (just in case).
Thanks I am glad that I am learning this tool as well.

Probably gonna pick up some meat for my first brisket this weekend.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky