First Pastrami

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

homebrew

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jul 26, 2011
Harrison Township, Michigan
Did my first pastrami over the weekend.

Overnight soak, changed water a couple of times.

e29e9cd3_IMG_0145.jpg

Mustarrd, course black pepper and coriander rub

7c3ef071_IMG_0147.jpg

Test run for my new Maverick

031fc843_IMG_0148.jpg

225 for 11 hours smoked with pecan

700ebe5b_IMG_0166.jpg

Pulled from smoker, time for a rest in the fridge.

bf6de50b_IMG_0167.jpg

Sliced and ready for packaging

7bdc6ab4_IMG_0168.jpg

Close up

4f3c1288_IMG_0169.jpg

Sandwich with homemade saurkraut ready for dinner

cf899d9e_IMG_0172.jpg

How much difference does soaking make on the final project. Is it a personal preference thing? Does it havw any effect on the moisture?

Bigfish

Homebrew,

Very nice color on that pastrami I am going to try a mustard rub on my next one. Excellent BearView!

points.gif

JC1947

Very nice looking,  If you want it more tender try steaming it for a couple of hours after pulling it from the smoker then letting it cool before slicing. I thought my Pastrami was good before steaming, but after it was great!

Robert

How much difference does soaking make on the final project. Is it a personal preference thing? Does it havw any effect on the moisture?
Bigfish

Many people here make pastrami with a prepared corn beef.  Some do their own corning

Prepared corned beefs will vary widely in the amount of sodium per serving.  I have been using the Crown brand which has about 220mg of sodium per 4 oz of product.  I soak this over night and still find it salty.  Some brands have a whopping 1400-1600mg/4oz

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky