First pastrami cure

Discussion in 'For New Members' started by jackson5, Nov 22, 2017.

Tags:
  1. jackson5

jackson5 Newbie

This is my first post outside of the roll call so hopefully this is in the right place if not maybe someone can nudge me in the right direction.
    Just started curing my first beef brisket to make some pastrami, brisket is 2.5kg/5.5 lb and I cheated a little by buying ready made cure/rub. It’s now curing for 7 days in fridge.
    My question is what sort of temp and time would you recommend for smoking once cured
    Thanks Gary

Attached Files:

2. chef jimmyj

chef jimmyj Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member

You are cooking it tender like any brisket. For strong smoke flavor go a straight smoke at 225 till probe tender, IT around 195-200. About 1.5 hours per pound. Mild smoke, smoke 4-6 hours at 225, then foil and continue, put in the oven at a higher temp to speed the cook, again until probe tender...JJ

3. jackson5

jackson5 Newbie

Thanks jimmy I will be trying that in about 7 days, do you think it would make any difference if I cured it for 10 days instead of 7 (instructions said 7)

4. smokinal

smokinal Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

10 days is fine.
    Al

5. jackson5

jackson5 Newbie

Thanks Al

Didn’t think it would make a difference always best checking with the experts!

Gary

6. jackson5

jackson5 Newbie

Happy thanks giving to all, only 30 days For our turkey smoking here in the U.K.

7. jackson5

jackson5 Newbie

DE62C001-6A40-404B-A9FC-D68239C1EFDD.jpeg EF328073-9DD8-4226-AEFE-D5009B9F5EF0.jpeg AE315AC8-1161-4A19-9613-BDE27E24959C.jpeg BCDB52C9-9148-4386-BF93-7CBBB9573E4E.jpeg Smoked on the weekend and it came out OK think I smoked it at a little to high a heat but still very edible now all sliced up

8. braz

braz Smoke Blower SMF Premier Member

That looks wonderful. What internal temp did you take it to?

9. jackson5

jackson5 Newbie

Took it to around 195 IT, as recommended by chef Jimmyj, next time I will cook it at a slightly lower temp as smoker was running slightly hot. But it’s all a learning process.

10. chef jimmyj

chef jimmyj Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member

Looks great. I recently made 6 pounds of St. Patty's day Points into Pastrami. It was delicious but my 4 adult kids wiped out the whole batch in one sitting! I managed to pry about 8oz from the four " Jaws of Destruction " to make an open face Reuben but was hoping to have some leftover...JJ

11. jackson5

jackson5 Newbie

Yes you seem to become very popular at the end of the process when it’s ready to eat!
    Next up back bacon or Canadian bacon as I think you call it that side of the pond