First MES30 Boneless Turkey Breast [QView]

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rjp123

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jan 18, 2011
Ontario, CANADA
After the success of my first pork ribs and pork butt I decided to kick it up a knotch and try a smoked turkey breast.

I purchased a boneless breast from Costco - $20 for a 3.5 lbs, wrapped in a net.

I made a brine consisting of salt, brown sugar, mustard powder, onion powder, ground garlic, pepercorn, bay leaves and nutmeg.

The breast is currently sitting in the brine, I'm flipping every 4 hours and will probably have it in brine for a total of 18-hours before I put it on the smoker.

9ba81f64_turkeybrine.jpg

Is 18h too long to brine?  I don't want the meat to be mushy when I cook it.

Is it ok in the net?  How does the net react to the smoker?

Last edited:
It is OK to brine 24 hours, so 18 won't be a problem.  just make sure you rinse it appropriately to eliminate the saltiness.  Turkey takes great to smoke.  Keep the smoke light and use fruit or nut wood.  Enjoy, and don't forget the Q-view!

When I brine a whole turkey it's 5 days in brine so 18 hours won't be too long but make sure it's in the fridge.  Make sure to post pics of the finished product.  Good luck.

I did one today . was in the brine over night, and just rinsed , seasoned an smoked for 2 hrs an fried on the oiless fryer,

I always thought the rule was 1 hour per pound in the brine. That's what I usually go by. Maybe I should try longer.

570e7766_smokingturkey.jpg

2 hours into the smoke.  I decided to use apple wood as a number of threads talked about how good it is on poultry.  I also decided to give it a quick rub of pork/rib spice before putting it in.

It's sitting at 110 deg right now. Should be up to 160 within another 2 hours.

been getting them at my local walmart, and if you are fortunate enough to have an Aldi in your area, i have been getting them $9.99 for 4 pounds, including a small  bag of gravy fixins. see more around easter, thanksgiving and christmas.

The one I bought was fresh (not frozen) and from Costco.  They had bone-in at $9.99/kg ($4.50/lb) but I bought the boneless, lean-trimmed for $12.99/kg ($5.90/lb).

I see frozen boneless breasts at my regular grocery store all year round.  They are usually $3-$4/lb.

".... I made a brine consisting of salt, brown sugar, mustard powder, onion powder, ground garlic, pepercorn, bay leaves and nutmeg...."

Would you mind sharing the portions of each ingredient used?

I always thought the rule was 1 hour per pound in the brine. That's what I usually go by. Maybe I should try longer.

i have a friend that has a brine receipt, that calls for a day per pound...to me that seems overkill...but he said he's done a few and have turned out awesome.  i've been trying to get the receipt, but no luck so far.

Why can't I find these boneless turkey breasts around here? I want to smoke one so bad for lunch meat.
Ross, I rarely see them in my area for retail but restaurants use them all the time. Any restaurant supply warehouses in your area, like a Cash & Carry or Smart & Final? If you have a small Mom & Pop restaurant you frequent they might be able to order you one from their supplier.

i have a friend that has a brine receipt, that calls for a day per pound...to me that seems overkill...but he said he's done a few and have turned out awesome.  i've been trying to get the receipt, but no luck so far.
Redneck,

Did that "brine" have cure in it?

I could understand 8 days in a curing brine for 8 pounds of meat, but I wouldn't think it would be good to brine an 8 pound roast in a "non-curing" brine for 8 days.

Sounds very odd.

Bear

Redneck,

Did that "brine" have cure in it?

I could understand 8 days in a curing brine for 8 pounds of meat, but I wouldn't think it would be good to brine an 8 pound roast in a "non-curing" brine for 8 days.

Sounds very odd.

Bear
don't know if there is any cure in it,  thats why i've been trying to get it.  once i do ill send you a message.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky