First day trying my new Woodwind with sear box

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Sheri Blevins

Original poster
Mar 10, 2018
My name is Sheri and I live in Jackson GA. I dry brined salmon for 14 hours in brown sugar, kosher salt and cracked pepper. Turned on my grill to low smoke. The grill is at 212, is it normal for it to start out hotter? Will it drop to the 175 low smoke temp...

My name is Sheri and I live in Jackson GA. I dry brined salmon for 14 hours in brown sugar, kosher salt and cracked pepper. Turned on my grill to low smoke. The grill is at 212, is it normal for it to start out hotter? Will it drop to the 175 low smoke temp...
It will fluctuate between 170-200. That is the range for low smoke. High would be 180-225. You can try a water pan to bring it down more if needed

Welcome to Smoking Meat Forums!
Don't know Sheri. But it is not unusual for grills to tend to hunt a bit before they settle in.
I know my smoker (MES 30, electric) tends to over-run, then settle down. Pretty soon it bobs and weaves around the desired temperature.
My first smoke in mine was Salmon, and while I had to practically stick my eye in it to see smoke at 200°, it turned out delicious!

Did you do a seasoning run with your Woodwind to "break it in?"
Usually you can get a feel for what your equipment will do during the empty seasoning run.

Many here, me too, use a separate smoke maker. An AMNTS, or an AMNPS can give you all the smoke you'd like, without the heat temperament of a wiggling burn system.

Woodwind's are popular here so the cavalry will be along soon... ;)

Welcome Sheri, I am pretty new to the forum as well and recently purchased the woodwind but without the sear box. My first few smokes when placed on low or high smoke will fluctuate in temp, this allows the woodwind to produce smoke. I haven’t seen a problem with it. I also purchased the a-maze-n tube smoker to go inside. Trying it out today on a small brisket so we will see how it does. Good luck!

Welcome.. and good luck..
So your first thing you do is testing the very lowest limits of the smoker? No roast or chicken or pulled pork? I wouldn't worry about the absolute lowest limit of the smoker.. they almost never do what you want.

Have fun and be safe! :cool:

Welcome.. and good luck..
So your first thing you do is testing the very lowest limits of the smoker? No roast or chicken or pulled pork? I wouldn't worry about the absolute lowest limit of the smoker.. they almost never do what you want.

Have fun and be safe! :cool:

If you like your salmon, then yes, Salmonezy would be what you'd want.

texas-animated-flag-1.gif
Good morning and welcome to the forum from a cloudy, windy and warm day here in East Texas, and the best site on the web. Lots of great people with tons of information on just about everything.

Gary

Hi Sheri and welcome to the forum! You are going to love that Woodwind and just remember that it is designed to create more smoke in those special "smoke" modes. It does this by overshooting the temperature and then letting it get about 15-20°F below the set temperature before kicking back in to overshoot it again.

I have learned to cook by average temperature rather than constant temperature when using a pellet grill and the food comes out just as perfect.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky