First couple smokes!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

MediumButt

Original poster
Jun 16, 2018
So I'm bad at taking pictures...being very new to this and still learning to control temps ..it slipped my mind! Anyway, last week I did a third test run (first time ever, it got way too hot and took forever to get back down! Topped out at 370, second time I couldn't get it hot enough!) Things were going perfect so I threw some chicken thighs on! Wow they came out great, I have never had chicken soooo juicy, tender, smoky! I was quite proud! Last night I had family over and between kids going crazy, wife trying to get ready, and working until noon, I was able to smoke some more thighs and some county style "ribs"! Everything came out perfect! Only issue was, the store bought rub was not very good. It was an apple wood rub, I smoked on Royal oak lump and apple wood so I figured it would be good. Ended up being pretty spicy...still good but I don't usually like spicy if I'm not expecting it! Was going for sweet. The bbq sauce I got was great though! Anyway, put the pork on about 2 and temp was 230. About an hour later I put the chicken on. Smooth sailing until I put the ribs in a foil pan and covered, switched racks to get the chicken lower and the pork higher, I think I left the door open too long...took a while to get back up to about 260 as I wanted the chicken to cook a bit higher and the pork was covered. About half an hour later I put the ribs back on the grate and it was all done soon after. Pork was 170, chicken was 165. Took it all off panned and covered for about half an hour. Everyone loved it! Second pic was yesterday (was threatening storms all day so I had to improvise a smoke shack lol) I want to smoke everything everyday now!

Attachments

• 20180622_205354.jpg
    20180622_205354.jpg
    174.2 KB · Views: 49
  • 20180623_133418.jpg
    20180623_133418.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 49
  • 20180623_155450.jpg
    20180623_155450.jpg
    213.2 KB · Views: 48
Your Q looks delicious!
Nice job!
Your tent looks sturdy enough to withstand a hurricane!!
Al
Thank you! It's a lot of fun, I always wanted to get a smoker, glad it is as fun as I thought it would be! And yes, it's one of those semi permanent sheds. Was pretty impressed with it when I was putting it up, been up for about 3 years now, no problems! Thanks for the compliments!

Nice looking smoke. Glad it turned out well. How's it feel to be a smoking junkie.

Point for sure.

Reactions: MediumButt
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky