First cheese

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

theracenut

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 29, 2010
Lexington SC
Did my first cheese today. First time to use the A-Maze-N too. Used a cup of hickory and a cup of maple, we'll see how it taste in a few weeks. This is also the first time I have used the MES 40. Didn't use any heat just let it cold smoke. It never got above 50 degrees.

71ecd017_100_0281.jpg

This is what I started with, colby jack, gouda, monterey jack, sharp chedddar, mozzarella and pepper jack. I got most of it from

Aldi I wasn't ready to spend a lot on cheese until I decided I knew what I was doing.

1dabded5_100_0282.jpg

Ready to go to the MES 40.... I got those racks at Wally World for 9 bucks for a set of 3

79dc3ca3_100_0283.jpg

In for the smoke....I smoked this for 3 hours.

ad254cd0_100_0284.jpg

Packaged and ready for the fridge. This is going to be a long two weeks.

It was about 36 or so outside. Only heat was from the A-maze-N. You should go for it and make some....it was easy.

Nice job on the cheese!  While it's still cold you might want to smoke a bunch. I still have some vacuumed packed from feb/2010. Just dont freeze it keep it in the fridge.

Great Looking Cheese.

1st Time Smoking Cheese Smoke

1st Time Using Your New MES

1st Time Using Your New AMNS

AND.....All Was  A Success!!

I would buy a lottery Ticket!!

Todd

Congratulations on all the Firsts...

Nice Job on the Cheese, it was a great selection too...

Looks like a great first smoke
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Very nice indeed!  Now that the first time jitters are done - GO FOR IT!!!   I personally would smoke some more cheese in a week, so that when you do dip into the cheese you have already done it wont all be gone in 3 days. You will tend to be eating alot of cheese now and be careful about offering it to friends - they tend to beg alot and that gets embarrassing for them and you!   Enjoy!!

The DW and I got back from a coastal trip today and I decided to open up some of the cheese for a snack. It was well worth the effort and wait. We were very impressed with the taste. We tried the Gouda. We will be doing a lot more cheese. I suggest everyone cold smoke some cheese, you will me amazed by the flavor.

Glad it turned out good for ya - Smoked cheese is amazing

Congrats how long did you smoke it? did you light both ends or only one, i am waiting for my mes40 from cabelas, already have a amaz and dust, just need a thermo, any tips help thanks, ps meateater, you said to leave it vac. sealed, how long will it last? 

Congrats how long did you smoke it? did you light both ends or only one, i am waiting for my mes40 from cabelas, already have a amaz and dust, just need a thermo, any tips help thanks, ps meateater, you said to leave it vac. sealed, how long will it last? 
I smoked it for 3 hours and I lit both ends. I don't think there will be any danger of it spoiling in the vac pacs it will be eaten long before it goes bad.

You want light smoke for a short time.

I smoke cheese with Apple, maple or Cherry for about 2 1/2 hours.

Todd

my softer chesses i cold smoke for 2-3 hrs and the more dense the longer, 3-4hrs. i have had some real dense cheddars (for example Tillamook sharp/mild orande cheddar) go as long as 6 hrs. they came out Great with what i would call a slight bark (smoke skin)  

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky