First Butt On New Brinkman Trailmaster

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mr wayne

Original poster
Nov 22, 2012
SW Louisiana
I posted in the anouncement section earlier today. Thought I would post the rest here.Put a 4lb butt and a whole chicken on at 7am today. Like I said this is a new smoker and Im new at this also. Just been a bbq'r and decided to get into the smokin. Well I chased the temps back and forth for a while today before finally settling in between 220- 240. This was about 11am. The butt stalled at about this time at 169-170 for about 2 hrs before starting to move again. I kept the temps 220-240 all along. The digital therm hit 200IT at 4:45pm. I thought that was an awful long time to smoke a 4lb butt. I decided to leave it on till 200. I pulled it off and had to hold it with both hands to keep it from falling apart to put it in the pan. I wrapped in foil to let it rest for an hour or so. Hope it taste as good as it looks and smells. I'll give an update later. Sorry for the long post.  Wayne

If it looks that good it should taste that good. Let us know what you think. A couple pictures wouldn't hurt us either.

Sent via Tap-A-Yap from David.

Welcome to SMF...

Congrats on your smoke..

Most stock thermometers are off. I would calibrate the ones you have. If the smoking bug bites you. You may want to look into a secondary thermometer like the maverick or one similar.

For the temp you were cooking at that is a bit long, but things will cook at their own rate and every one is different. I would check the thermometers. Based on a 4lb butt it should be around 6-8hrs. You were just under 10, yes a bit long, but I have seen a lot worse.

It sounds all good. Albeit you will have a great pulled pok sandwich tonight....Congrats!.........
th_What_NO_QVIEW.gif

i'm gonna try and put some pics here of finished product and my temp Gauges. The stock Gauge is up in the top of the lid. the colored ones I mounted at grate level on each end of the lid. The digital probe I use for IT. I put the 2 colored ones along with the probe in hot water and all read within 1 degree of each other. Stock gauge, the big white one, reads about 100* hotter than the 2 at grate level. The colored one on the smoke stack end read about 10* hotter all day  than the one at the fire box end but both read 1* different in the hot water test. By the way, I don't think a butt could get any better. It was very good. Sorry bout the order of pics.

Thanks Wayne

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky