First Butt of the spring.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jokensmoken

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Dec 7, 2016
Whitmore Lake Michigan
Well the plan was to smoke this yesterday, starting aboutb5:00 am, but I woke to a torrential downpour and since it isnt for a special occasion, I put it off till today...so far so good, right on time...here she is all rubbed up...and on the grate.
20190203_005726.jpg
20190202_195054.jpg

"They" are now referred to as "pork shoulder blade Cut" not 'Butt'. That was changed in 2013.
Thanks pops...that clears up something.i've been curious about aurrounding labeling differences I've seen lately...
My meat for BBQ has always been from a local butcher until he retired last spring and I've had to buy a lot from retail box stores.
The labeling and advertising for butts has seemed to change faster than Michigan weather.
Political correctness run amok, I wonder?

20190519_105017.jpg
Nice. What kind of rig are you using for that cook?
I'm smoking this one on my little 18 inch bullet WSM knockoff...I made some mods to it over the winter to help with better temp control and was curious to see how it ran.
So far so good...after i got it dialed in its held 242°F almost perfectly.
Kingsford blue bag charcoal with apple wood chunks with a few crumbs of hickory and mesquite chips tossed in every so often just because I love the smell of them.
LOL...I just realized in my sleep deprived stupor this morning i posted a pic of a hurt on my MB gasser for the superbowl...
heres what I've got going...beautiful color so far...

Reactions: JC in GB
View attachment 395799
I'm smoking this one on my little 18 inch bullet WSM knockoff...I made some mods to it over the winter to help with better temp control and was curious to see how it ran.
So far so good...after i got it dialed in its held 242°F almost perfectly.
Kingsford blue bag charcoal with apple wood chunks with a few crumbs of hickory and mesquite chips tossed in every so often just because I love the smell of them.
LOL...I just realized in my sleep deprived stupor this morning i posted a pic of a butt on my MB gasser i did for the superbowl...
heres what I've got going...beautiful color so far...

Well the plan was to smoke this yesterday, starting aboutb5:00 am, but I woke to a torrential downpour and since it isnt for a special occasion, I put it off till today...so far so good, right on time...here she is all rubbed up...and on the grate.View attachment 395775 View attachment 395774
Well dagnabit anyway...it was an absolutely beautiful morning...mid 60s when I lit my charcoal about 4:00 am...
Nice bright sunrise with temps comfortably around 70 by 9:00...
Now the wind is kicking and an ominous cloud cover has completly obscured the sun...
Got my fingers crossed...My IT is at 170°F, sitting right about mid stall...I hope she starts cruising here shortly because it sure looks like I've got some serious rain on the horizon.

Well dagnabit anyway...it was an absolutely beautiful morning...mid 60s when I lit my charcoal about 4:00 am...
Nice bright sunrise with temps comfortably around 70 by 9:00...
Now the wind is kicking and an ominous cloud cover has completly obscured the sun...
Got my fingers crossed...My IT is at 170°F, sitting right about mid stall...I hope she starts cruising here shortly because it sure looks like I've got some serious rain on the horizon.
Well, the BBQ gods just were not on.my side this weekend.
I.planned on smoking yesterday but at my planned start time it was raining like crazy...
This.morning was beautiful, I got everything started and things are cruising nicely and wouldn't you know..
Torrential down pour...
At least I'm using.my.little bullet smoker and can drag it up under the overhang of the 2nd floor deck...
It's a bit of a bummer, but on the brighter side of life, I'm going to have some good BBQ in a few hours, even if I will have to sit indoors to eat.

Well, the BBQ gods just were not on.my side this weekend.
I.planned on smoking yesterday but at my planned start time it was raining like crazy...
This.morning was beautiful, I got everything started and things are cruising nicely and wouldn't you know..
Torrential down pour...
At least I'm using.my.little bullet smoker and can drag it up under the overhang of the 2nd floor deck...
It's a bit of a bummer, but on the brighter side of life, I'm going to have some good BBQ in a few hours, even if I will have to sit indoors to eat.
Well, I'm finally out of the stall...this one was a bit over two hours but my IT is finally on the rise again...I hit 170° IT about 11:30 am and fell.back to 167-168 for the two plus hours...we're up over 178° now so I'm pretty sure its pushed through...
On a sad note the thunder has rolled in with the rain now and it's coming down even harder...
Nothing like writing a book about my simple pork butt smoke...lol...
Can ya tell im bored?

Last edited:
Reactions: JC in GB
Well, I'm finally out of the stall...this one was a bit over two hours but my IT is finally on the rise again...I hit 170° IT about 11:30 am and fell.back to 167-168 for the two plus hours...we're up over 278° now so I'm pretty sure its pushed through...
On a sad note the thunder has rolled in with the rain now and it's coming down even harder...
Nothing like writing a book about my simple pork butt smoke...lol...
Can ya tell im bored?
20190519_183258.jpg

Well, here she is off the grate and on the foil, ready for a short wrap and rest while I run for buns (can't believe I forgot the buns) and a beverage or three to enjoy with my dinner.
It was a long smoke for an eight pound butt; a little over 13 hours...but the scraps tasted wonderful...
I'll post another pic when I'm done pulling it.

Reactions: Jonok and JC in GB
20190202_195054.jpg
Okay here is the condensed version.
Lit smoker at 4:20 am...
Kingsford blue bag - chunk apple
Butt on at 5:00 am
Smoker settled in at 240°F and ran plus or minus 10°F until 6:20 pm finished tim
20190519_105017.jpg
20190519_105017.jpg
e.
20190519_201130.jpg
20190519_201308.jpg
20190519_183258.jpg

Reactions: disco and gmc2003
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky