First Buckboard bacon

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

DougE

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 13, 2010
Richmond,KY
I've wanted to try this forever, but I was always intimidated with the whole curing process, plus there wasn't room in our kitchen fridge for me to do it. Now that I have another fridge just for meat, I decided to go on and give it a try, with a little push from SmokinEdge SmokinEdge . I did a simple dry cure with cure#1, salt, and brown sugar for 12 days, turning and massaging it daily. I took it out of the cure, rinsed it off and let it sit in the fridge for 24 hours, uncovered.

I was going to try to cold smoke it in my Camp Chef just using a pellet tube, but the temps were getting too hot for a cold smoke. I ended up turning the grill on and warm smoking it at 160, and pulled it when the internal temp. hit 145. It did get a few hours of smoke with just the tube burning, though. I used a 50/50 blend of Lumberjack cherry and hickory in both the tube and the grill hopper. I'm really pleased with the results, and have another piece getting ready to take a ride in the cure in the next day or two. Other than being meatier than belly bacon, I find the flavor to be pretty similar.

finished bbb.jpg

bacon.jpg

bacon1.jpg

bacon2.jpg

Looks good! Good thing we allow pushing and shoving around here! You'll be making plenty more I'm sure!

Ryan

Reactions: DougE
Looks great.
I've tried buckboard a couple times and gave most of it away. The texture just didn't match up to a local meat market.
It has a little more "chew" than belly bacon, but I don't find it much different, otherwise.

Just remembered I'm out of BBB, darn... another thing for the to do list! Another thing to try sometime if ya get bored...beef bacon, cut the flat off a brisket, cure it and smoke it...it's tasty!

Ryan

Reactions: bigbuck and DougE
Another thing to try sometime if ya get bored...beef bacon, cut the flat off a brisket, cure it and smoke it...it's tasty!
Hmmmmmm, I wonder what it would come out like if you were to soak the salt outta a corned brisket, like you would for pastrami, and do the same with it?

Hmmmmmm, I wonder what it would come out like if you were to soak the salt outta a corned brisket, like you would for pastrami, and do the same with it?
Not sure! I know when I did mine I searched on here, I know pop's had a thread on it and someone else did also but can't remember who the 2nd one was.

Ryan

My wife had some with eggs this morning and likes it really well. She said I was awful excited about the bacon. Effen A right, IT'S BACON, and I made it myself.

View attachment 519333

Here's one pic of mine. It's kinda different but I would kinda compare it to BBB as far as texture goes.

Ryan
Dang, Ryan, that looks absolutely delicious.

Looks great Doug,
also on my list, just have not got to it yet

David
Thanks, David. I'm sure you will do a great job of it when you get around to trying it.

Nice. Got mine in smoker.
Hope it turns out as good, or even better than mine. I'm well pleased with the results, and don't plan on changing much, if anything, on the next one.

We like BBB better than belly bacon, and yours sure looks good!
Al
Thanks, Al. I plan on doing some belly bacon, eventually, just for comparison, using the same cure recipe. I doubt it'll be worth the extra cost for the belly, but I'm gonna try it. anyhow

Reactions: DRKsmoking
look great! and its on the gotta try list...just need to get the fam to stop visiting. bahah.

Reactions: DougE
Looks great! I have only done belly bacon but thats going to change soon. Nicely done!
Thanks, Gator. Taste wise, I don't see a lot of difference, but the texture is slightly different and it's definitely meatier.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky