First Buckboard bacon

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
look great! and its on the gotta try list...just need to get the fam to stop visiting. bahah.
Thanks. I got more things on my gotta try list than I'll ever have a chance to cook.

As for the texture difference, I had the same thoughts on my first try. I've found that if you thin slice it, the texture is virtually indistinguishable from belly.

As for the texture difference, I had the same thoughts on my first try. I've found that if you thin slice it, the texture is virtually indistinguishable from belly.
I didn't necessarily consider the texture difference to be a bad thing, but I will go a little thinner on the next one. I'm fairly certain that I wouldn't be missing anything at all if the only bacon I ate for the rest of my life was buckboard.

To me, BBB is closer to ham in texture and flavor, because it is ham after all. What makes belly bacon different in both taste and texture is the streaky fat, the more fat the better I say. Even belly that is very meaty has more of a ham flavor/texture. I like me some fat on my bacon, otherwise I’ll just make ham, and nothing wrong with BBB.

Reactions: DougE
Well, this piece was pretty dang fatty, so it may be why I find it closer to belly bacon.

Reactions: SmokinEdge
Doug , that looks great . Making your own is addicting . Nice work bud .
I use just the fat cap side of the bone on pork butts IF it looks like bacon . Then the rest goes for ham .
Most people would have a hard time telling the difference .
1639872854508.jpeg
1639872920210.jpeg

Doug , that looks great . Making your own is addicting . Nice work bud .
I use just the fat cap side of the bone on pork butts IF it looks like bacon .

Thanks, Rich. I intended on getting a whole butt which were on sale at 99 cents a pound, and boning it out myself, but they were sold out. I ended up with a couple boneless Boston butt roasts at a buck 99 a pound for this. Neither had a fat cap, but the one I did had a lot of internal fat. I still have the other one, and will probably start curing it tomorrow. It looks more meaty than the one I just did, but I haven't seen the underside yet.

Something else you might want to put on the list . Pulled ham . Do just like you did , but smoke it like pulled pork . Shred it up and on a bun . Man it's good .

Something else you might want to put on the list . Pulled ham . Do just like you did , but smoke it like pulled pork . Shred it up and on a bun . Man it's good .
yet another to add to my list .....

Reactions: Brokenhandle
Sliced and vac sealed my belly bacon yesterday. Didnt post any pics as I am still figuring out my slicer (slices were ugly). But, it did fry up nicely. Gonna do some BBB next as shoulders are much cheaper than belly.
Jim

I personally love the ugly slices... I see it as my duty to eat all of them so nobody sees them!

Ryan

• Haha
Reactions: DRKsmoking
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky