First brisket in a while...

Discussion in 'Beef' started by worktogthr, Oct 4, 2016.

1. worktogthr

worktogthr Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

Since I am off for the Jewish holidays and he weather was kind of crummy, yesterday seemed like a good day to smoke a brisket. I had an 8.5 pound brisket flat which had a nice even thickness and 1/4 inch fat cap.

Seasoned it up with SPOG:

Cooked it on the PBC with Kingsford Natural Lump Briquettes Mesquite . I think this is discontinue but I found it in Stop and Shop at half pice a few months ago. Smells nice in the bag and while cooking. It's basically kingsford competition/professional studded with mesquite chips. Also mixed some hickory chunks in the coals.

Got to about 160 in 4 hours and looked like this:

Into a hotel pan with some beef stock and covered with foil. From here I put it in the oven since it wasn't getting anymore smoke.

It probes tender at about 198:
    Took about 2 hours in the foil so a six hour total cook, the PBC is a fast cooking machine. Foil toweled and coolered it for about 3 hours until dinner time and sliced up:

Plated it up with a blue chees cauliflower purée (doing the low carb thing).

Wish the pics were better. This was one of the best briskets I have cooked so far. Tender and moist and nice and smokey even though it only saw 4 hours of smoke. Made a great breakfast this morning when I threw 3 over easy eggs on top of a few slices with some melted cheese.

One of the best techniques I learned somewhere on this site is to save the foiling liquid, de-fat it in the fridge while the brisket is kept warm, reheat the defatted liquid and dip each slice in that liquid before serving.
    Thanks for looking!

-Chris

disco, tropics, smokinal and 3 others like this.
  2. smoking4fun

smoking4fun Smoke Blower

Looks like a success...good job!  I'd eat that.

3. smokinal

smokinal Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

WOO HOO Chris!

That is one good looking brisket!!!!!

Points to you my friend!!

Al

4. crazymoon

crazymoon Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

WT, Nice looking brisky !

5. worktogthr

Thanks Al! Haha wife doesn't like brisket so I have been eating it in every meal

6. worktogthr

Thanks so much!

7. chestnutbloom

chestnutbloom Smoking Fanatic

Mmmmmm looks awesome! [​IMG]

8. chef jimmyj

chef jimmyj Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member

Looks great and hang tough on the Low/No Carb eating. It's not easy...JJ

9. worktogthr

Thanks so much!  It was good, but no one else eats brisket in mu house, so ive been incorporating it into everything.  Too much of a good thing haha

10. worktogthr

Thanks so much!

11. worktogthr

Thanks JJ.  The low carb eating is tough.  I don't think I am going to last too long but it was a desperate attempt to lose some of the summer weight put on by a lot of liquid carbs haha.   I lost about 10-15 pounds and some inches in a little over a month, just don't think I can live like this as much as I love food.  I've always had great success on a balanced diet with portion control, just thought I'd try something drastic this time since this summer's weight gain was more than it has been in quite a few years.  I fully blame you and every other member of this forum hahaha

12. smokin jay

smokin jay Smoking Fanatic

Looks great! 3 over easy eggs over brisket with cheese! I'm hungry! Lol

13. tropics

tropics Smoking Guru SMF Premier Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Chris that looks really tender Nice job. Points

Richie

[​IMG]

14. sauced

sauced Master of the Pit

I agree!!! Great lookin brisket!!

Points!

[​IMG]

15. worktogthr

Thanks so much guys.  I finally vacuum packed the rest.  I couldn't eat anymore brisket haha

16. b-one

b-one Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Looks tasty,I got the wife issue unless I wrap the brisket.

17. disco

disco Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Beautiful brisket, Chris!

Point!

Disco

18. worktogthr

Thanks!  My wife just won't eat it at all!  She's not a fan of meat other than chicken.  It is very sad haha
    Thanks so much for the point Disco!