• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

FIRST BRISKET ------- (for the month)

gary s

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Joined Jan 6, 2011
FIRST BRISKET (for the month)

Haven’t smoked a Brisket all Month (I knew something was wrong). Had one in the Freezer, so I put it in the Fridge Tuesday to thaw. Got to thinking, that Brisket sure will be lonely on there all by its self so I pulled out a Pork Butt for company.

Saturday Morning: Made a pot of Coffee pulled meat out of Fridge and Fired up the smoker all by 5:20 AM

Trimmed and seasoned the Brisket and Butt on the smoker by 6:15 AM.

Whipped up some beans, they went on at 9:30 AM

At 12:00 PM I pulled everything off, Beans in the oven Brisket and Butt wrapped in Butcher Paper (Pink)

And back in the smoker.

Pork Butt hit 207° (Was aiming for 205°) Playing with my new toy Maverick 733 Never heard the beep.

Took 8.5 hours. Brisket lacks a bit threw on a little Boudin.

This Maverick thing is kinda neat (Remember I’m Old School). Brisket was ready in 11 hours. Hit 205° according to the Maverick. Unwrapped and did a poke test, Like Butter.

Here are a few pics. Didn’t do a step by step but here is a link on a previous one if you are interested. http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/243295/texas-style-brisket

Everything Smoking away

Brisket and Butt  Wrapped after 6 hours

None pulled out clean  Nice and Tender

My new Toy   Almost forgot about it

Brisket Done  Pork is pulled

A couple of Brisket Pics

The Brisket was great not my prettiest   ----     Thanks

pc farmer

Epic Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Feb 17, 2013
    Wow Gary, the meat looks amazing.     Great job as usual. 

b-one

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Joined Aug 31, 2014
I'll take a plate full please! Looks great!

gary s

OTBS Member
Joined Jan 6, 2011
Thanks Guys and for the Points.

Gary

GaryHibbert

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 20, 2013
As usual your brisket looks darned delicious Gary.

How do you like the 733?? I've had mine for a while and every time I use it I have to read the directions AGAIN.

POINTS for a great meal

Gary

SmokinAl

Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
Another great looking brisket Gary!

But I wouldn't expect anything less from you!

Point!

Al

gary s

OTBS Member
Joined Jan 6, 2011
Thanks, Gary and Al  Much appreciated and for the points

Gary I finally figured it out, (Watched a YouTube video, Pretty neat. My only problem is I never thought about

or paid any attention to the stall. I found myself looking at this darn thing constantly. 

Gary

Bearcarver

OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Sep 12, 2009
OMG!!!  FanFreakingTastic!!!

Your Briskets are always "Over the Top"!!!
----

That's gotta be Delicious!!!

Bear

gary s

OTBS Member
Joined Jan 6, 2011
Thank you Bear and for the points. Glad I cooked yesterday  Raining today

Gary

WaterinHoleBrew

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jun 18, 2013
Phenomenal smoke Gary ! Everything looks real tasty ! Thumbs Up

remsr

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Jun 8, 2014
I have never taken a bresket to 205, just did two 14 pounders last Friday in my WSM took them to 195 very tender and juicy did two buts the week before took them to 205 very tender and juicy. Jeff tells a story whet he over slept and has butt hit 208 and was the best mistake he ever made. Wouldn't a brisket at 205 start drying out? Mine turns out great at 195 but if 205 is better I'll try it next time.

disco

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Oct 31, 2012
Definition of a pit master, brisket and Pork loin at the same time.

Disco

Last edited:

gearjammer

Master of the Pit
Joined Apr 6, 2015
Darn good looking stuff.

I still have not done brisket, but you guys give me courage.

Points to you, either one alone would be great, but both together is outstanding. 

Ed

crankybuzzard

Smoking Guru
Staff member
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jan 4, 2014
Not sure how I missed this one, but darn nice work Gary!

PP and brisket makes for a great plate!

tropics

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 25, 2014
Gary that looks great as always.Points

Richie

gary s

OTBS Member
Joined Jan 6, 2011
Thank you CB and Richie  and for the points.

Gary

remsr

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Jun 8, 2014
Still wondering about that 205 international temp of the brisket. I would like to try it but I am afraid of it being over done and stringy. Yours looks great and you said the poke test was like butter. Does anyone else take their brisket to 205? I have never callabrated my probes but they are IQ 130 probes that don't require callabratiin. I just don't want to wreck an expensive hunk of meat that I spend hours to cook. The last two I smoked together in my 221/2" WSM took 24 hours to hit 195. Both were full packers weighing 15 pounds each. My briskets always come out good but I am always looking for better. Any feed back would be greatly appreciated.
Randy,

gary s

OTBS Member
Joined Jan 6, 2011
Still wondering about that 205 international temp of the brisket. I would like to try it but I am afraid of it being over done and stringy. Yours looks great and you said the poke test was like butter. Does anyone else take their brisket to 205? I have never callabrated my probes but they are IQ 130 probes that don't require callabratiin. I just don't want to wreck an expensive hunk of meat that I spend hours to cook. The last two I smoked together in my 221/2" WSM took 24 hours to hit 195. Both were full packers weighing 15 pounds each. My briskets always come out good but I am always looking for better. Any feed back would be greatly appreciated.
Randy,
I have had some long smokes but never 24 hours  I think you may have a temp gauge problem.

Like I said this was my first time using the Maverick and checking the temp.

I never check temps except on a few things, I have cooked so many briskets I can tell by feel, looks and the probe

(or Toothpick test)

That brisket was real moist and Juicy at 205º

Gary

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.