First Breakfast on the Gifted Griddle

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

JckDanls 07

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Sep 10, 2011
Tampa area, Florida.
Was a learning experience to say the least...

So after cleaning and seasoning this is what I started with

IMG_1685.JPG

I then lined the grease catch pan with foil for easy clean up

IMG_1686.JPG

Made some homemade hashbrowns with little red potatoes ... soaked and then squeezed excess water out of them.. chopped up some onions and red peppers and added to them...

IMG_1684.JPG

Had some of Pop's homemade country sausage and some store bought bacon ( I know, but I am fresh out of homemade) ... But at least there was some bacon... I only used the 2 left burners on low/med setting ...

IMG_1687.JPG

This is about half way/close to done

IMG_1688.JPG

And then my plated shot... On the Danls's best china ... Not the best presentation either....

IMG_1689.JPG

I like putting my eggs right on top of the hashbrowns (my sausage gravy and biscuits too)...

The results ...

Everything was sticking to the griddle.. I used olive oil to cook with... once things were scraped loose it wasn't to bad ...

The hashbrowns got a lil more charred than I would have liked... But otherwise things were pretty good... I couldn't believe the eggs didn't break when scraping loose and flipping (over easy)....

Otherwise it was pretty good ...

Thanks for looking...

I liked mine but the eaters didnt like the way the food taste. so i gave my griddle away.

Looks great to me as well! I'm with you on the eggs on top of hash browns! Yum!

Ryan

Nice ! After I got mine good and seasoned didn't need as much oil to cook things , but had that oily taste in the beginning .

Nice ! After I got mine good and seasoned didn't need as much oil to cook things , but had that oily taste in the beginning .
Looks good to me, I don't need to use a bunch of oil when I use mine. Silicone egg rings work good to keep the eggs where you want them.

Looks good Keith. As was said keep using it and applying oil when the seasoning gets right it becomes almost nonstick.

Reactions: Brokenhandle
I'm with the other Jim.....presentation is nice and all.....But eating is what its all about....I'd take a plate or two of that.
Jim

Looks like a great breakfast to me! That’s how I like it too!At least it was free, but you have me second guessing a BS again. Can’t drop that kind of cash and have the sticking and fam not happy with oil!

Looks like a great breakfast to me! That’s how I like it too!At least it was free, but you have me second guessing a BS again. Can’t drop that kind of cash and have the sticking and fam not happy with oil!
Jed, doubt you would have an issue with a new one, ours seasoned really well and no sticking that I recall. We don't care for much of anything deep fried in oil anymore, not even the smell. But my wife bought this from our local restaurant supply store...man does it work well on the Blackstone!

20220508_144128.jpg

It's much better if you don't read the back label though! :emoji_laughing: I don't let that bother me much though.

Ryan

The fact that you took it down to bare metal, you may want to invest in a jar of this stuff. Season the griddle 2-3 times with it, then do a pound of bacon on it, bacon makes everything better, even store-bought bacon. I use this on my BS flattop every 6-8 cooks, nothing sticks. Bacon, eggs, sausage, and taters with peppers and onions, I'd be all over that plate, looks mighty fine! RAY

Darn good looking breakfast there Keith!
I’m with the others, just keep cooking on it & it will get to non-stick after a few cooks!
Al

Yea Rick... she didn't like the oily taste ...
Guess its like other cooking tools, the more you use it the better you get with it. I did 6 on mine and they always said the same thing. I even bought the griddle oil from Gordons.

I agree that it will improve with use. Olive oil has a low smoke/burn temp, you might try something like peanut oil or bacon grease, applied lightly. You might also consider greasing the whole griddle for several cooks to keep the surface evenly conditioned. Finally, those hot spots seem to indicate you have the heat too high.

Yea Rick... she didn't like the oily taste ...
looks like you scraped all of the seasoning off of the grill and that's why the food sticks.
Think of it as a giant cast iron skillet. Once its seasoned it will be non stick.
I have a 36" and just bought the new 22" Black Stone with the wheels and I love them both.
As far as the "oil" taste sounds like to much oil was used and not enough seasoning on the griddle top.
Keep cooking on it the more the better and season once you finish and it will be non stick in no time!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky