So I Was Gifted As Well ....

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

JckDanls 07

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Sep 10, 2011
Tampa area, Florida.
I came home from a day of MX racing with my grandson and found this in the driveway

IMG_1672.JPG

Washed the cover up before even taking it off for the first time... and found this...

IMG_1673.JPG

IMG_1674.JPG

So I open the hood and found this ...

IMG_1675.JPG

IMG_1676.JPG

IMG_1677.JPG

So this is where I'm at... How to go about cleaning it ??

I'm thinking start with a wire wheel on an angle grinder ??

what says you ??

Thinking thar would be a good start. Should clean up real nice. I've done several cast iron pans that way.

Ryan

That's a great gift! Even if it does need a little work!

Ryan

I'm thinking start with a wire wheel on an angle grinder ??
I wouldn't use a wire wheel . I say that , and people don't agree . It's been my teaching that the dissimilar metals can cause a greater problem down the road . Soft deposits left behind from the wire wheel will rust faster .
Wire brush I have used . Won't heat up the bristles .
My opinion , but it is based in fact .
I always start slow .
I would scrape it off , then heat it up and hit it with some water to steam .
Re-scrape , then anything left behind I use a sanding sponge . That is a great gift , and should clean up nice .

Lil elbow grease and you'll be cooking with bacon grease! look forward to your first cook on it.
Jim

Don't they still sell cleaning bricks for these? When I cooked at a local country club one summer and later at the college food deli we had a brick that we'd run over the grill surface during shutdown. That thing cleaned up everything.

Chris

I’m in Chops camp all the way fire it up, put a bucket under the drain, slowly dump water in it while you scrap it, then dip a heavy duty scotch bright in the water and rub it down or a grill brick if you can get on.... then rinse with clean water, then once dry thin coat of oil and heat 30 min till is smoked then let it cool. What you have there isn’t bad at all. No need for anything aggressive. What I described is just a normal cleaning process and that is all it needs!

Congrats

Last edited:
Thanks everybody for the quick response...

use a sanding sponge

I have a few of those I used for drywall (will use a new one of coarse)...

Reseason it with flaxseed oil ??

My neighbor gave this to me as he knows I play around with outdoors cooking.... I told him I will probably sell it and get the smaller 22'' (he agreed)... It's more portable for camping and It's only Mrs. Danls and I so this one is much to big ...

Flaxseed is good stuff to season it with. You should only need a Tbsp for the whole grill.

I have a few of those I used for drywall (will use a new one of coarse)...
Yup . I worked for a metal stud and drywall contractor . I should have " restocked " before I retired . They have one that has the angle on one side . Those works good for the corners .
Reseason it with flaxseed oil ??
I like flaxseed , but just used veg oil these days . Just use light coats .

Grill brick for cleaning, they have cheaper ones too...
I like those , and have used them . Some of them smell like rotten eggs , lol .
In my way of thinking that would be after the sponge and before the wire brush if needed .

I was originally thinking steel wool and olive oil when I first saw this thread, going from coarse to fine. Sounds like the brick is the way to go. RAY

I like those , and have used them . Some of them smell like rotten eggs , lol .
In my way of thinking that would be after the sponge and before the wire brush if needed .
Used these once a week on the commercial grills then once a month on the house one when we had one..... yes the do have a smell but are just what the grill ordered......some of the HD stores have them in their BBQ areas a “grate” cleaner.

Reactions: chopsaw
Yes as others have said about the pumice stone, that is what we used for that deep clean once a week on the griddles when I used to sling some hash back in the day. Smells a bit , just rinse and rub clean and reseason

David

MAN.. is this place the greatest on the web or what ?? 17 responses within 1 hr 20 min.... And all great advice ...

So I heated and scraped with putty knife and steam...
then wire brushed...
then the sponge sanding...

Wasn't liking the results... And me being one that HATES hand sanding I thought ...

Let me try my little 1/4 sheet finish sander with some 400 grit wet/dry paper... A little water for wetness and not to burn up the sandpaper...

This is what I was looking at half way ... You can see the results on the left from hand sanding... On the right is with electric sander

IMG_1678.JPG

And then here's the finished sanding product (best I'm gonna get it anyways)...

IMG_1680.JPG

I guess I'm just gonna use veggy oil... maybe canola if I have some... I know I don't have any flax seed oil and I don't want to wait until I run to town ...

How many coats of oil is suggested ?

MAN.. is this place the greatest on the web or what ?? 17 responses within 1 hr 20 min.... And all great advice ...

So I heated and scraped with putty knife and steam...
then wire brushed...
then the sponge sanding...

Wasn't liking the results... And me being one that HATES hand sanding I thought ...

Let me try my little 1/4 sheet finish sander with some 400 grit wet/dry paper... A little water for wetness and not to burn up the sandpaper...

This is what I was looking at half way ... You can see the results on the left from hand sanding... On the right is with electric sander

View attachment 631210

And then here's the finished sanding product (best I'm gonna get it anyways)...

View attachment 631211

I guess I'm just gonna use veggy oil... maybe canola if I have some... I know I don't have any flax seed oil and I don't want to wait until I run to town ...

How many coats of oil is suggested ?
I would do 3 coats, then cook some bacon to see how it looks. you want a nice , even black coating on it. I also clean and oil after I am done with every cook. If I am lazy I just spray down with whatever kind I have on the shelf.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky